Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro in 4 days, the only way to go.

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
Hello, I'm having another microdiscetomy in 4 days on the 21st of March and I can't wait. I have used this site to gain knowledge and experience but can't stand to see another person who is suffering like me, but too scared of surgery. I originally ruptured L5-S1 in 09', it was bad and after MRI I had emergency surgery two days later. I had the micro whcih helped so much that I felt better in like 2 days and wanted to do stuff that I couldn't before. Problem is I went back to the same job I got hurt doing before and did fine with minimal leg pain for about a year. Then it all returned in my leg and back pain and I knew it had re-ruptured in the same place. MRI confirmed it and now 9 months later and thousands of dollars workmans comp has approved another micro for me on monday. Like I said I can't wait 4 days thats too long but I'm sure I will make it. I also know that it's going to help me. If you people out there sitting in pain feel the same thing that I do with pain all the way down your leg into your little toe then you are crazy not to have surgery if there is a surgery that a neuro-surgeon says will help you then do it, they dont do surgery if they dont think it will help because they wont want to deal with you after it. Seriously the surgery hurts for a few days but is way better than a life long pain. Mine is disabling and at the current time I'm only doing stuff when I have too. I tried narcotics which just made me high and hurt my stomach so I stopped taking them, I could feel the addictive side of me coming out. Im not a Dr. but don't let the word SURGERY scare you, think about the pain your in now and could it even get worse. You need to weigh your pros and cons and go for it, I'm ready to get on with my life, about you?

• I hope you get relief whatever you decide, but I will tell you that this EXACT scenario happened to me.

I herniated L5-S1, had the micro, then it reherniated a couple years later. It was WORSE the second time and I could only wait about 2 months before I had the surgery again.

My only caution is this: it happened to me a THIRD time two more years down the road. At that point, my options were really limited. They wouldn't do another micro, and the only surgical option was fusion with a titaniam rod, bone grafts, etc. Having been through this saga for six years at that point I was not confident that the fusion would help, and I knew once they did that I was in for a lifetime of issues.

I somehow managed to wait it out and found a WONDERFUL physical therapist and pain management doctor. The two of them got me out of the acute pain (which was a miracle... I couldn't sit, stand, walk, or lay down without severe pain) and it slowly got better. I'm two years post the third herniation, and I have a very full life. I'll never be a jogger again! But I work, go hiking, swim laps, and even garden. I do get "sensations" down my left leg still after certain activities, but it's not pain... it's electrical stuff, if that makes sense. I manage it with stretches the PT guy gave me to do at home, and by swimming at the gym.

I am SOOOOOOO glad I didn't do the third surgery.

AND I wish I hadn't done ANY of the surgeries. Because at this point scar tissue from the surgeries is my biggest problem. The herniation has healed (any herniation can heal... our discs are made up of ligaments and, just like when you sprain your ankle and it heals if you don't keep walking on it/exacerbating the injury, your disk can heal too).

So I'm not a doctor and I know how hard this time is b/c I've been there, but if I were you I would wait. I would try EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD before I did another surgery. It's not easy, but you can track down good PTs and pain management people.

The McKenzie Method (google it) saved my life. And the online articles by Dr. Jolie Bookspan made me have hope that I could heal even in the darkest days when I thought I would never be able to walk again.

By the way, I'm in my mid/late thirties and am very fit and not overweight. 5'4", 110 lbs. So I never thought any of this would happen to me.

Best of luck to you.

If you live anywhere near the greater Philadelphia area, I can recommend a PT and pain management person.