Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Cond. test, what to expect

L-DoggLL-Dogg Posts: 101
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Going in for one of these tomorrow.

What can I expect in terms of pain, where do they stick the needles, how much current do they hit you with, how long does it take etc etc?

This is for a C4/5 and C5/6 fusion that is not fusing well at one level, okay at the other and I am re-developing tingling in my hands, especially the left.

• the voltage is minimal and you will hardly feel it and the needle is very fine BUT after a while you will want them to stop ..and when you have reached that point TELL THEM ENOUGH !! they will understand .the first time they put the needle in you will hardly feel it but as they probe you again and again it get a little too much ..i am being totally honest with you .i had mine to establish my thoracic outlet syndrome so mine was done down my arms and wrist and hands
    good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • EMG not Nerve Conduction Test Sorry
  • I had both done in the same visit. I don't remember having any pain from either test. They did both arms up to my shoulder (starting with fingers). It took a little over an hour if I remember correctly. The biggest "pain" for me was having to sit on the edge of that examination table for so long. My back was killing me from not being able to get up and walk around.
    Good luck! I'm sure it won't be so bad and hopefully you can get good information that will help with your treatment.
  • I have had multiple of them done both arms and legs. While they are can be a bit uncomfortable they are not that bad. But really you don't want to tell them to stop otherwise you can have a incomplete test and not give the doctor enough information. Keep in mind if the needles hurt they will go away as soon as the test is done. Now some it will bring the nerve pain up more and others have said it helped it for a short time. I compared the electric to the feeling like you get from a Tens unit. The needles don't go as deep like when you get a shot or blood drawn, so they are not that bad. One good thing if you have some numb areas chances are you won't feel it. All in all it is not that bad. I mean sure a good steak dinner would be more enjoyable but it is not nearly that bad.
  • Had lower extremities EMG done a year ago & redoing on April 6, no big deal for me. Now if you have a needle phobia then perhaps it might be more extreme for you. The needles are very thin and compared to all the other testing & procedures I've endured this was the least painful. Good luck.
  • So I had it done today. What an odd experience. I have had a bunch of electrical shocks in my life, had a lot of painful injuries etc....but this is just so hard to explain. It's not really painful but it surely is not painless either. I guess the deal is that it is so momentary.

I liked the needles more than the other one.....nerve conductive test. At least with a needle you know why it is hurting.

The other one is kinda nasty LOL.... but it can also make you laugh at yourself 'cos you tend to jump when the current hit's. And he would do 3 or 4 on the same spot sometimes, each time upping the zap factor. A couple of spots were downright painful. He gave me zero warning the first zap........nada.........it made me jump and I almost slapped myself in the face my arm jumped so much..... :))(

I guess a second test would be easier, knowing what to expect...... but I would not ever want to do it again if I could help it.

Thanks for the comments, sorry to be a wimp.....I just like to know what I am getting myself into.
  • You made it through. I hope your results are good. Negative for nerve damage