Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM appointment was interesting today

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my pain doctor appointment for follow-up since the Opana they switched me to was not working well. They upped my mg from the original 5 mg, then by phone to 10mg. I was told if this still wasnt working to call and make a appt. besides I would run out of meds early since they had me double up. I went into this appointment and told the truth, they were not working well for me. I was having too much breakthrough pain. My doctor and I have always had a good relationship but he treated me like a drug seeker. I told them I think the opana would work but I either needed more break-through meds or the dosage upped or better yet something that wasnt so expensive. I paid 120.00 copay 2 weeks ago.My doctor stated this is what he wants me on and he finds it hard to believe that it is that expensive. He called me a liar basically. He kept me on Opana and upped the dosage. I did tell my doctor I didnt have a problem swinging into the office Monday to give them the remainder of the first prescription but were they going to reimburse me for the money. After all I paid 120.00 for them. To that they replied no so I let them know how crappy I thought it was. Long story short I left in a bad mood,and my doctor in a bad mood. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I was asked why did I make a appointment? Umm because the nurse Wes told me to because I was gonna run out early. He also did not tell me to bring my left over meds. So I go to the drug store and give them my new script so imagine my surprise when the cashier tells me my script is 20.00. I asked can you please explain why 2 weeks ago it was 120.00 and today it is 20.00. The pharmecists says you had a med deductible to which I replied no I dont and you need to contact my insurance comp. to find out why the difference.So I dont drag this out, They never submitted it to my insurance company. So a refund was given. Then I am told upon returning home that the pain clinic wants me to call them first thing Monday morning. What now? He already thinks I am a liar.

• Welcome to the club of disbelieving doctors..lol. It seems like it was a bad week for PM appts. On the one hand he was right about the cost so maybe when you call you should mention that and thank him for pointing it out :)

But on the other hand well he did up your dosage so I guess you got what you hoped for. Would have been nice if the held the attitude though.

As far as the appt I get that question too. My no-fault insurance requires that I see my neurologist once a month and get a new disability note. My neuro would be happy to see me every three months and talk by phone in between. It always confuses me because he does get paid for the visits. My theory is that he knows that he doesnt need to see me that often and he really has nothing to do. Guess that's honesty.

Let's hope the new dosage works for you. At least you got something..I walked out with nothing for now. But he said I should use imagery to deal with the pain :)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hopefully you can chalk this up to just 1 bad experience. Be sure and tell him about the insurance fiasco.
    Don't you just hate it when a P.M. Dr. falls in love with a certain drug. What??? do they get a commission.
    My Dr. has me on hydrocodone for break through pain. And I've told him that I don't like it and it isn't effective. So what's he do? He ups the milligrams.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sorry to hear all what you went through and not just that but you have to go back sooner than expected. Wishing you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Geez, I hate continually hearing these stories with PM docs. I'm very lucky that my OS and his PA have been very understanding with my previous unemployment and not being able to try injections to get the pain down, so they keep me on the same meds I have always had, and luckily they work pretty well.

The one thing was that I had been on flexiril for a long time until after my lumbar surgery and then they gave me valium "temporarily" knowing the spasms would be bad. I was supposed to go back to flexiril after three months, but I told the PA that the valium was working much better than the flexiril and taking care of my anxiety attacks as well so I wanted to stay on them. He didn't have a problem and I'm still able to get valium refills over a year later. And I still just request a refill online at my pharmacy, they fax it to my OS, they approve it, fax it back and boom, my meds are ready.

Anyway, for some of us it's much more difficult and I tend to find that for many, it's with PM docs. I work now for a medical association that helps train all types of doctors and nurses and they're having a big push training doctors on handling pain patients and dealing with pain medications. Perhaps this means that there will be more understanding in the future.

Good luck on Monday - I hope your PM was just having "one of those days" and that you end up getting more relief that you need.

Please let us know how it goes.
  • i have always had good relationships with my 2 pain drs over 10 or so years. the only bad experience is when my first one retired and referred me to the dr that would take over his office. she basically said, you don't want to be a drug addict and be on oxy your whole life do you? i was p....ed then went to retiring dr and told him and he gave me a new one. well i have been with this guy for 4 or so years and have had an excellent relationship with him. i had a minor problem with my pharmacy which i feared would get back to my dr but it didn't. well even with excellent relationships with pain drs i still feel like i am going to see the principal when i visit him. i get nervous and blood pressure goes up even when there is nothng and i have had no problems. it is weird that even with excellent relationships over 10 years, i still get nervous when i see him. i think this is the nature of the beast. i always have in the back of my mind him coming in and saying i am going to take you off all narcotics even when there is no reason or inclination to do this. i don't kknow b;ut i think that a lot of us get this feeling even if we get along great with pm or am i wrong?
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • he wants you on the opana because Endo pharma is pushing it hard on the pm docs and giving them huge kickbacks....find another doctor, dont put up with that crap. You think he is the only person that can write meds?? Think again. I was seeing a pm doc for years that treated me like chit cause i thought nobody else would help me....well i was really wrong.
  • Susan,

Since Monday has 'come and gone'....did you call, and if so, what happened?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I called the pain clinic Monday and they asked me to come in after work with my meds. I asked what is this about and they said the doctor would speak to me when I got there. I was taken back to a room and a nurse practitioner counted all my pills, no problem there everything was how it should be. Then my doctor and a nurse along with myself flushed the 5 mg Opana down the toilet I couldnt stand the suspense anymore so I just asked my doc " did I do something wrong or say something that has caused all this" To my relief her reply was, " The nurse that told you to come in for a appt. should of never done so, you should of just picked up your new prescriptions but since he did tell you to come in he should of followed office rules and told you to bring in all your meds. He is a new employee who is not doing his job well and when she saw me there Friday it was the icing on the cake for her. He has her very frustrated due to the fact of his work performance. She apologized for being so rude with me and assured me that this had nothing to do with me'. Talk about being relieved! I have always had a good relationship with her and another doc in the practice. I was so afraid that I had done something wrong without realizing it. I mean face it without my pain docs I would not be able to work or enjoy life at all. She changed my milligrams on the Opana and said if this doesnt work then we will have to try another medication. With the milligrams changed to 20 from the original 5, what a difference this has made. My pain level now is at about a 3 constantly and I have no need for break-through meds yet. I havent felt this good in years. keep your fingers crossed it keeps working because it sure has made a big difference in my pain levels. I now wake up in the morning able to stand up without excruciating pain, my hands no longer hurt at all and I even went to the gym last night. Of course just swimming and walking the track, I dont want to hurt myself.lol. So it appears I worried all weekend long for nothing.
  • Susan,

Good to know that not only did YOU NOT do anything wrong, your doctor admitted that her nurse was the issue!!!

Also happy to see that she trusts you such that she adjusted your pain medications, and now they are actually helping your pain reductions. How good is that huh? Awesome. Thanks for the update. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sue, that is so great!! Just goes to show that doctors can be rude when it is no fault of our own!

I'm so glad that she has got your meds sorted out now, and you are getting proper treatment and relief!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I hate it when docs act this way. I have a good relationship with mine too but sometimes he will say stupid things and I'm like wtf? I told him about my pain and that maybe there was scar tissue or something....he got mad at me and said.." there is no proof of scar tissue...that's not true" omg..I was making a suggestion,,,,I've had three major surgeries,,,I'm sure there is scar tissue somewhere...lol

He also gets that attitude like ima drug seeker when I tell him I'm having a bad month of pain...wtf again ? I'm the person who he tries to give bt pain meds for and I decline and say I'm still working on the script from 3-4 months ago because don't like to take them!,

And btw...when u get the right dosage..opana is great...it is wonderful for my pain. The only problem I have is that it doesn't really last me the whole 12 hours..I have to use bt meds three times a day....i used to use very little bt meds before opana.
This discussion has been closed.