Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post op

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All,

3 months post op from my laminectomy on December 14, 2010 and still in pain. Lower back, both legs and feet. Sitting straight up in a chair for too long (like an hour)not good. Standing from sitting is rough, or standing over 5 minutes is a no no. walking is better once I get going, can't sleep on my right side due to fairly severe pain in my right hip when laying on it. Sleeping on my back causes arm and hand numbness but it is tolerable sometimes. Sleeping on my right side is ok.

I have been severely fatigued for a long while now, also hot flashes and then chills to my core , this has been a continuous cycle for sometime. I just found out this week that I have low T, my testosterone is at 200, normal is 309 to 800 roughly, free Testosterone is 32, normal 47-244 and so on. I also found out that my thyroid is pooping out as well. They showed me a graph of my thyroid test for the last 10 years and this last one just spiked way up. So now I've added a pill for thyroid and a gel for testosterone replacement. I tell you all this in case someone knows about these things and can comment. I hope and pray it is responsible for my severe fatigue, weight gain and inability to regulate my body temp. and that these meds fixed that stuff.

My upper spine surgery from last August 2010 ACDF seems to be a sucess story, although no one has checked yet to see if the discs in fact fused. When do thay usually do that?

I have been on 100mgs of Oxycodone up until a month ago when I decided that my fatigue was so bad that I chose to deop it to 65mg (I did inform my doctor of course). I have managed to stay at that level with really not much more discomfort. Thet'd like to see me go down more and I've tried several times but the pain won't go along. If this doesn't get better we're going to have to try something else.

Thank you all again for your support through my very fearful and difficult times. God Bless Al

• Al,

You're still early in your recovery, don't forget that. You do sound a whole lot better physically and more importantly, your frame of mind seems to have calmed. Glad to see it.

It can take a year or more to fully recover from spine surgery. Just try not to overdue, and continue to recover. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow that's not sounding like much fun. I hope that once they get your body chemistry corrected for a bit, that you pain and fatigue issue come under better control! Did you look at your diet to make certain you are eating the right kinds of food to promote surgical recovery? I know from experience that a proper diet can make a dramatic difference in how quickly we can recover. Many of us are afraid of gaining weight during recovery, so we down scale our diet, unfortunately it is during a time when we need the protein and energy.

Hang in there,

• I hope you start to pick up from your low thyroid that can cause fatigue and weight gain so meds will help as well as the testosterone replacement. I'm just coming down off Oxycontin because I feel fatigued from it as well but you need pain meds.

Good to hear you're doing well from your other surgery and I would call the Surgeon and he may be interested to know what else has been going on with you. Good to hear you're doing your walking also. I hope you start to feel better and saying a prayer for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad to see you are doing a little better and hopefully on your way to getting some answers that will help! I am up about 15 pounds from the combination of quitting smoking and inactivity and am starting on a plan to lose it to help me move better. But I must say the 3 month mark is feel better than any of my previous benchmarks!
    Take care of yourself...
  • Hi all and thanks for the post. I am fully on my harmone replacement therapy now and slept most of the day, yippie. Depression seems to be my best friend, well not to insult my other best friend, pain of course. Not that upbeat today and it's 9:45pm and I'm just ready for bed again. What happened to who I was and the fun I use to have, I really just don't know, but it's not there anymore no matter how I try to find it. I feel a little bitter and I hate that, but it seems to just be there anyhow. Haven't heard from my friend degenerative Shelly since har last surgery and I am concerned about her and keep her in my prayers. Thanks again to you all for your posts, sorry I am this way. Your friend, Al
    AL S