Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tens unit for sciatiaca pain

whitecapwwhitecap Posts: 7
Has anyone had any experience using a tens unit for sciatica
advertisement

Comments

• even the best TENS wont take away bad leg pain .but there is a none conventional way of using your TENS to help with pain in the leg caused by compression of the sciatic nerve ..what you do is this ..first place one electrode on your lower back on the side they you have the pain {on me it would be the right hand side} the place the other electrode on the inside of your ankle just below the bony bit in the soft area at about a 45 degree angle to your heel .its hard to describe and you may have to experiment until it hits the spot.then when you have set up correctly select the tap..tap..tap mode on your TENS ..i know its sounds a bit mad but trust me it works better than just putting both electrodes on your lower back .but even with a top end machine like the acticare or an omron ..without decent pain killers you will only get a small amount of relief ..{i have had 15 years of back and leg pain and 2 operations and i am waiting for an ALIF 3 level } so i know a little about pain ! ..try what i have suggested ..it wont do any harm and may even give you some relief
    good luck
    t
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • The TENs helps some people some of the time and does take a lot of 'experimenting' to find ways that it helps you best. Because we are all so different, what works for one might not do squat for the next, but it's a tool and worth a try.
    (I use the TENs, but for my neck/feet)

I really hope it helps you!
  • Your comments are not that encouraging. But than again
    neither are anyone else`s. I know half a dozen people that have had back surgery in the last several years
    most of them have had a couple of back surgeries and are waiting for an additional back surgery. I have one aquaintence that had back surgery about a year ago
    He`s back where he started. Pain, epidural shots I dont know why he bothered. Another friend had a laminectomy 4 mos ago and cant walk without a walker
    I am not in that much pain. I take no pain medication
    just some ocassional Naproxin in small doses. I am not going for surgery unless I cant walk at all and have nothing to lose. I dont like the odds
  • Hi Whitecap, You said that you didn't know why your friend bothered with the surgery, injections, and only to be back where he started from in the beginning. (Not exact wording) It's all about the PAIN. When you live with it day in, day out. 24/7. Level 4-5 on your "Good" days, which are far and few, and "Normal" days anymore that are Level 6-8, the pain wears you down. You will almost chew your own leg off if you thought it would bring you some relief. You just hope something might work. Anything to stop the pain, especially when you have the "Bad" days. Level 9-10.
advertisement