Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sinal fluid leak

timothyannttimothyann Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am a 37 year old female athletic runner, 5'10 140 lbs. I have 5 boys ages 12 to 3 all were vaginal birth with no complications. All boys perfect help and I returned home after birth the next day every time with healthy boys. I had a simple L4/L5 lateral dysectomy on Nov.10 due to ruptured disk that went great until Dec 22. That day I began having severe headaches which the only relief required me to lay flat on my back. Does anyone have suggestions?? Since the orginal surgery I have had two blood patches no success. Then they tried derma glue which eased pain for 2 weeks. Next they tried using some of my muscle to make a graph and cover the leak area. After that a dr did surgery under a scope for 5 hours to carefully repair any leaks. About 10 days after that I began to develope a huge bulge on my back that started the same symptoms. TERRIBLE HEADACHES!!!! Again they went back in used a special stich to try and stop leakage and once again 10 days spot has returned on my back and the headaches are back. The only surgical procedure that has not been used is a lumbar drain put in on L2 and they will again repair the leaks and use the drain to keep L4 and L5 dry. Does anyone have knowledge of this procedure or other suggestions please?????

• Wow-I am so sorry you are going through this. I can't help you, but wanted to welcome you to Spine-health and I hope that somebody with some experience comes along with some information for you soon. I've had many spinal taps that can cause headaches, but I cannot imagine going through what you are and for so long. My prayers are with you and I do hope that you find relief soon.
  • I know to well what you are going through!! In 99 the same happen to me. I had a disc removed and a bone chip was left and followed a week later a massive spinal leak. When the Dr removed the staples I had CSF leaking down my back to my ankles...I was hospitalized for about 3 months. I had all the same procedures you did. They took muscle out of my leg to try to stop the leak which also failed!!They eventually had to put a spinal drain in to dry out the area I was put in the ICU. I have to mentioned I also had STAPH through my spinal region..The staph caused me not to heal. Not to be gross but the staph turned the muscle,dura,skin ect to oatmeal. It was hard to stop the leak because the Staph made my area like tissue paper.

Since then I had meningitis 5 times,2 brain surgeries all together 24 surgeries...

PLEASE make sure the Dr's get a hold of this and don't ever let them make you feel like things are fine! You know your body!!! Did the Dr's put you on antibiotic!!!???

If you ever need to talk you can private message me anytime!!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Staph Infection 99-2000
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
    Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
    PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10
  • Wow..I had spinal menengitis too... :?? . That is one of the reasons I had so many spinal taps, the NS was testing my spinal fluid to see if it was clear/healthy, and each time I had to lay flat for 8 hrs afterwords. Hmm, what a coincidence.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    After my L4-S1 fusion in 1993 I had a leak. I ended up in the hospital for 10 days with a spinal catheter used to have the spinal fluid bypass the area of the dura mater (membrane around the cord that holds in the spinal fulid). It gave the area time to heal. I was on bedrest the entire time so it wasn't easy but just before they were going to try a surgical fix the process worked.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos