Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op and completely over did it.

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I feel like such a complete idiot. I had C5 C6 done on March 7th. Well, been following Dr.'s orders to a T since, no lifting, resting alot, soft collar everyday etc. Well, today was an absolute beautiful day outside and I bought a couple bulb plants yesterday to plant. My hubby said he would help me plant and then today decided he didn't want to. I got upset,so I went out and put them in the ground myself. I also did laundry and cleaned the kitchen up. Now I'm in TERRIBLE pain and scared to death I've done something bad. I took my pain meds and am resting with ice pack on and put my soft collar back on. This is been very frustrating and depressing much like you all can relate too. I feel silly for even complaining compared to the things some of you have been through. I'm just praying I didn't do anything serious and maybe by resting it'll be OK. :(

• Oliversmomma,

Sorry to say it, but most all of us "overdue" and hurt like the dickens! I would venture to guess that it isn't likely that you did any damage as the hardware is pretty strong.

2 weeks out you probably still have swelling and nerves that are still trying to adjust, not to mention the muscle spasms you're probably getting from all the activity. It sounds like you are doing the right things - ice, meds, rest...

If it lasts more than a few days, you might want to call your surgeon and let him know, and too what you are going through. Of course none of us can feel what you're feeling, so if it really concerns you, don't feel guilty about calling your surgeon.

I hope you feel better soon. Gentle *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I think the others haven given you good advice. But I can understand it being nice out and wanting to be in the yard. So if you must do that stuff, just can't resist. Take your kitchen timer out with you and set it. When it goes off stop what your doing take a break. Take the same amount of break you set the timer too. So in place of just fixing the rose stop and smell them along the way. Of course whatever you do, don't do anything that has you bending over, be sure to bend at the knees or just sit down and do it. Be sure on any weight items you are in your surgeons directions. Hopefully your getting lots of walking in, now that the temps are breaking. My favorite was to take different routes each day and look at everyone else's yard, if your into gardening. I would have plenty of good ideas for my yard then.

Be sure if your not feeling better to give your surgeon a call.
  • Thanks so much everyone. I am just going to try and do a little each day, not everything in one day like I did today! ha I'm still having quite a bit of pain. Did any of you wear a soft collar afterwards, and how long did you wear it? Did you sleep in it?
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Don't feel like an idiot .... or at least rest assured your not the only one .... after my two level fusion 5 years ago ... i got my neurosurgeon office to give me a rubber stamped return to work ok ... I started flying around the country doing my thing 12 days post surgery ..... and I did wind up paying dearly with another blown disk ... non-union and the need for another much more extensive surgery 1.5 years later ..... my best advice is CONVELESE ... your body has been through a surgerical induced trama ..... give yourself time to heal.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I was in a hard collar (Aspen) for 2 weeks post op, and then told "I should" wear my soft collar when active or in a car, and then as I 'wished' to feel secure. My NS didn't make it mandatory though. Oddly, I used the hard collar for sleep for like a month. It seemed to keep me from wiggling around too much when I slept! The soft collar for me was very uncomfortable to sleep in actually.

• I've seen quite a bit on here where others were given the hard collar. I wasn't. Could've been because mine was only a single level fusion? I know what you mean about sleeping in the soft collar. It's really uncomfortable. Sleeping, so far, is terrible period for me. It's like a dread night time. I have hardest time getting comfortable. It's been really hard because I've always slept on my stomach. So I guess it'll get better. I wonder if I'm using the right kind of pillow also, or if there is a better kind of pillow. Mine is a feather pillow so it kinda adjusts with my head/neck. I've been waking up and sleeping on my side alot too. Do you know anything about those temperpedic neck pillows or of anyone that uses one? Just wondering if their worth the money seeming they're pretty pricey.
  • Oliversmomma,

Sleeping, now I know why you can't get comfy! I too forever was a solid belly sleeper. In April of 02 I had emergent surgery for a large ovarian tumor (benign), and since they 'gutted' my lower abdomen from hip to hip. Needless to say, there was no way I was going to be able to sleep on my belly or side for that matter!

Honestly OM, it took me almost a month after that surgery to get good sleep - not so much due to pain (and it WAS very painful), but I couldn't get use to sleeping on my back!!! Wow, did you bring back memories of my sleeping conversion problems! (G) Now that your neck is being fused, belly sleeping is history.

Unfortunately it is going to take time. You can try different angles for your legs/feet or upper body. Or adjust yourself in a position similar to a recliner - it might help you trick your body to fall asleep on your back. Side sleeping was okay by my surgeon, but as long as your neck and head are supported. Another way I get comfy on my back is I fold one leg a little bit. Aaaahhh, so hard to get use to a "new" sleeping position. They say that something done 33 times in a row, becomes a new habit? :?

As for collars. More so from what I've gotten on here from so many other cervical spiney brothers and sisters, it is all up to the surgeon's preference as the hardware is pretty sturdy. Mine likes the hard collar for the first 2 weeks, and a friend of mine with a different surgeon, no collar. With mine, it is whether you have 1 level or all of them!

Sleeping on your back after a while really does become pretty comfy.

My preferred pillows? Memory foam, medium firmness and the memory foam pillows designed for the cervical spine. Feather - I got rid of them for sleeping. I didn't get consistent support with them, so made new covers, and they are now cushions on the chairs and such. :)