Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What about Spinal Stenosis in Thoracic Area?

jewelspetjjewelspet Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Spinal Stenosis
This is the first time I've been to the Spinal Stenosis site. I noticed it says Cervical & Lumbar. I have it in the Lumbar but I also have it in the Thoracic which is a very serious area but I don't see anything about Spinal Stenosis mentioned on the first information "about spinal stenosis

T-6-7 I have Mild spinal stenosis & mild left foraminal narrowing with posterior disc protrusion. Also have a benign-appearing nerve sheath cyst to right of T6-7.

T-10-T11 Moderate Spinal Stenosis without clear compression of the spinal cord. Broad based disc protrusion with left paracentral predominace. Also Ligamentum Flavum Hypertrophy

Not sure I know what all of this means - -
Just know I Hurt all the time.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    is much more rare than Cervical or Lumbar stenosis.
    Spine-Health provides a video on this:

Thoracic Spinal Stenosis Video
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I recently had surgery for stenosis of T9-T10. I also had OLF (Ossification of Ligamentum Flavum). I was fortunate to find a fantastic neurosurgeon who used a device called a Sonopet (Stryker) and not a drill on the calcifications.

The surgery lasted approx. 8 hours but 3 weeks post surgery I'm doing well. I have some minor discomfort that is manageable with pain meds and am able to maneuver around the house with ease.

Prior to surgery I had numbness from belly button to my toes with extreme loss of coordination. It took several months to receive a diagnosis. I also had to pull strings with frineds in order to get a date with a surgeon.

I was also told if I did not have the procedure I would be a paraplegic.

Best wishes!
  • I had Severe Spinal Stenosis and it is much more Rare than Lumbar or Cervical Stenosis. It is also a Much more Dangerous place to have the problem. I can try and explain the difference for you.

In the Thorasic Spine you have the Actual Spinal Cord, which like it sounds is a bunch of nerves all corded together.

The the Lumbar Spine you have the Cauda Equina Nerves. With are Shaped like a Horse Tail. The Sciatic Nerve is the Largest and most often Compressed Nerve in the Cauda Equina.

So when you have Stenosis or Narrowing in the Lumbar Spine , you Hvae Pain, Weakness, Numbness Tingling Etc. But it Normally does not cause problems with Your Ability to Walk and or Control you Bladder or Bowel

But with the Thorasic Spine the Stenosis can interfere with the Bladder, Bowel, Walking Etc. So It can be more severe though I think the Pain is Universal across Spine Health.

Stenosis just means Narrowing. Do you know if you have Nerve Compression? And if so Which Nerves?
  • I'm not sure which nerves were involved in my case. I still have some sensory numbness in my knees and bottoms of my feet. I did NOT lose control of bowel or bladder but was told it would happen sooner or later. I started with symptoms in August/September. And declined quickly in January.

I am almost completely recovered except for the sensory numbness which I can live with.

Thoracic stenosis is definitley a little trickier than lumbar, however, they are both serious.
advertisement