Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AdrianLAAdrianL Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Greetings everyone
Have been lurking here for months prior my surgery looking for, and finding some positive reinforcement!
Am now 2 weeks out from surgery and going stir crazy lying in bed, broken up with small amounts of walking and sitting.

Probably the most frustrating part right now is the constipation from Percoset - of course being so fresh out of surgery I can't cut back the dosage too much otherwise the scar hurts like a SOB! so right now my goal is to find a ratio of Percoset to Senacot that works!

Seems the surgery itself has helped the low back/leg pain already but now my piriformis is cramped and pressing on the nerve so back to ice packs until I can get a massage/stretch!

• Welcome to SH!
    you are so early in recovery, take this TIME (stir craziness & all) and relax & heal, so important and you can't get these days back.
    Constipation is an issue, believe me at 6 months I still suffer. Don't forget other then fusion surgery you had major abdominal surgery. Talk to your doc about all your issues even if you think its small or embarrassing. You gotta get your bowels moving it will relief pressure on belly & incision! There are lots of options Otc, natural & rx.
    Glad to hear that you have relief on pre open pain, that's great! Yes, muscle cramping and pain can be pretty painful, keep icing! Wait for your green light for stretching & massage.
    Hang in there and i wish you an easy and full recovery!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions you can. congratulations on a successful surgery and a complete recovery to where you will be pain free!!! good luck to you! be sure and stop by the forum during the long days of recovery.. it can be a good friend during those times.. Jenny :)p.s. i find that plysyllium works well for contipation problems. i use it in a breakfast shake each morning!!
  • Hi
    thanks for the encouragement - yesterday I had to go to the doctor - 20 mins in the car, 20 mins waiting and 20 mins back - 1 hour out of bed and I felt like crap!
    Still now I know what is too much!
    Today is shaping up to be a much better day!
  • I use Miralax everyday, and try to make sure I drink enough water and fruit juice. Constipation is a major issue in most of our lives-unfortunately-so make sure you do what is necessary to keep things moving!
    Welcome to SH. I had ALIF L5-S1 also.
  • I'm probably going to have the same procedure, so you have to keep us posted on your progress :)
  • It does get better. I'm just ahead of you at 5 weeks postop. It is tedious but we have a lot of healing to do.
    Welcome aboard,
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • I am now 3 months out from my fusion and I had a very rough first few weeks but they encouraged me to be up and moving as much as I could tolerate.

At first a few laps from the living room to the kitchen seemed like miles but I made myself do it a few times a day and I know it helped with the muscle issues and also with the intestinal problems.

So I share that advice and send you good healing thoughts!
  • Thanks for the good vibes
    Did 10 minutes walk on the street today, which felt like a half marathon but no significant pain thereafter so I have now got a base line to grow from - but the real good news is I am almost 4 days Percocet free - just running on extra strength Tylenol - which has helped immensely. No more wooly head.
  • Will do and good luck - let us know if you decide to go ahead with surgery.
  • Positive update
    Things are definitely looking up - this last weekend I got out for some pampering at the nail salon - hard to cut your own nails without bending! - managed 30 minutes in the chair without too much discomfort. Walked on the beach for 30 mins or so and have been able to work for 2-3 hours at a stretch - if lying on the bed reading emails and talking on the phone classifies as work! Life without percocet is wonderful - the tylenol seem to be doing an OK job - i will take some discomfort over the side effects any day - so all in all a good week so far.
    Thanks for listening and allowing me to share
  • You are doing great! That is fantastic!
    Glad you got your nails done always feels nice to pamper yourself!
  • especially for a guy!!
    Would never usually go but, as I said, hard to get to the toes when you can't bend!
    It was actually a hoot as my wife goes to this place every week and had been sharing all of our "recent events" so I had all of the girls fussing over me!
  • They call it a MAN I cure! Lol!
  • I bet walking down the beach felt soooooooo good as well as the MAN I cure !! Getting back to doing some normal things always helps the psyche.

Is the constipation under control since you got off the Percocet?

I had an ALIF in 09 (17 months out) and the tummy didn't feel too good for quite a while. Now, I can barely see the scar and I've got my life back again.

Keep being completely committed to your recovery and I hope you'll be fused in under 6 months, like I was. However, it does take another 6-9 months for the fusion to become strong.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Getting off the percocet has been a huge plus - brain and bowels fucntioning normally!

I am so committed to my recovery - cant wait for my 6 week appointment with the surgeon and for him to clear me to drive at least short distances so I can get to work with my trainer and start with a rehab regimen - stretching/massage/walking etc etc - - all good.
    I have the goal of being able to get back on my sailboat before the end of the season, which has barely started here in the NEast - ie maybe September... who knows.
    This is like being in AA - one day at a time!!