Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stensosis with scoliosis

cathleenccathleen Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Scoliosis
@) Hi, I just found out I have a diagnosis of degeneragive disc disease, foraminal stenosis L5 S1 , and moderate scoliosis. I do not understand what this all means. The surgery recommended (don't know name) includes scraping of the bone to widen the narrowing area. But because of the scoliosis, doctor thinks this won't be successful. So jumping to a fusion is next. Any comments about my situation is welcome. Anyone in the same boat? I am terrified about back surgery, but have chronic pain. Currently taking Norco and Soma. Not helping. thank you,

• Hi cathleen

i have just had that operation well 4 weeks tomoro it was
    i had bone scrape 2 discs out and metal work in
    it is a big operation to consider but you have to weigh up the pro's and cons
    i had the condition for 10 yrs alot of to and frowing with doctors and consultants finally i got one that beleived me and diagnosed with Isthmic spondylolisthesis along with DDD etc
    i couldnt live with the pain and the way my life had become..so i opted for the operation
    good luck in your choice
    maybe get a 2nd opinion i did

• Hi Cathleen,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. On the chance you're still hanging around here...

I had partial scoliosis correction (lumbar fusion of L4-L5-S1) six months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for my back! Like yours, my scoliosis was caused by DDD and I also had problems with stenosis. I'd been suffering with back pain for some 40 years and leg pain/numbness for appx 6 years. My surgery ended up taking 6 hours due to the fact that my bones weren't hard enough to withstand the torque that the screws would put on them in straightening out the scoliotic curve. My surgeon ended up modifying the vertebrae to straighten my spine, adding screws and rods. I was in a rigid, full thoracolumbar brace for about 6 weeks and that was the hardest part of the whole experience, for me. Yes, there was pain too but that was mainly in the front of my thighs, caused by lying facedown on the operating table for so long. The pain in my back, proper, wasn't bad at all and I've felt wonderful since the surgery except for some numbness and pain again in the same leg due to me forgetting to act my age a couple of months ago, lol. I ran a short sprint with some kids and am paying for it now.

My scoliosis extends up another 2-3 levels in my back and that may need correcting at some point in the future, but for now I'm feeling great. If you have an experienced surgeon who you trust you should be able to go into a corrective surgery with optimism.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
This discussion has been closed.