Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help!! Urgent advice needed!

queenjillybeanqqueenjillybean Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 8 weeks post op from my 3rd fusion. This time was XLIF and PLIF of L3/4... I actually just got home from 6 week check up today that took all of 4 minutes... Anyway, my left leg and back are hurting really bad- numb, sharp, hot etc... I just got home from very long day at dr and discovered that my left foot and leg are alarmingly swollen... I have never experienced this, and I am uncomfortable and alarmed... Anyone ever have this happen?

• I do have swelling in my feet and legs when i am up and about more than normal. If you are worried I would call your doctor.
  • You need to call the surgeon and see what he/she has to say. If it is that swollen then something doesn't sound right and no one here can really answer as what to do. Your surgeon might need to see you back again, if it swelled that severe in that short of a time frame.
  • I experienced edema in both feet & ankles at about 3-4 weeks post op ALIF. I had a fairly large deep seated hematoma above surgery site (abdomen). I called my Vascular surgeon & he sent me to ER to rule out any clotting issues. But thank God it was just edema and with ace bandages, elevation & compression socks it cleared up within a week.

I agree with Tamtam call your surgeon or perhaps nurse hot line from your health provider most insurance carriers have this service.

It may be just that you over did it today, you mentioned long day.. better to know for sure.

Sorry you are suffering and worried.

Good luck!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Call the doctor and/or go to the ER immediately. Could be minor but could be blood clot.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Sorry to hear your having trouble. How would you compare the 1 level fusion after surgery to the multi level you had done the first time. I will be doing this also shortly and was thinking it had to be less painful after surgery than the multi level. That was very hard to get around for several weeks.