Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Body soreness all over six days post op for discectomy

Alli75AAlli75 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all. Today is my sixth day post op from an L4L5 discectomy. I have the normal pain expected but I do have a couple of questions. Today I'm starting to feel sore all over which I guess is from inactivity. My shoulders and legs are sore all over. Is it still normal to feel this achey and tired? I find that I'm sleeping on and off all day in between walking. I haven't really tried sitting yet. I can, it does get uncomfortable after about ten minutes but should I even be trying that yet? Otherwise I'm doing well and able to walk as much as I want. Are these other things just part of the process? Thanks for any input :)

• Any surgery is a trauma to the body, and the entire body can react. The Sympathetic Nervous System acts in a 'fight or flight' manner. As a result, your body can be sore from the whole situation. This is just my non-professional thoughts ;)
  • Hello. Your post caught my attention. I am 9 weeks post spinal fusion l4-l6, s1 and decompression on l2-3.
    I ended up getting a staph infection after my surgery. I felt achy all over. I had no energy and started running low grade fever and had some drainage from my surgical site.
    My story is really a nightmare. But, I just want you to be sure to take a look at your back, is it red? Is it draining? Are you running a fever? These could be signs of an infection.
    But, I had a previous fusion in 08. I was up and about with no pain. I really didnt feel like I had a surgery.
    Everyone and every surgery is different.
    But, you should contact your doctor if its something you are worried about.
  • HI Alli. I'm new here too. Unfortunate for us all to meet this way but what a wonderful website. I am post-op 6 weeks same surgery as you but 2nd time around. Last one was April '10. I wasn't tired with either of mine. Had minimal pain first time & surgery was a success.... for 5 months. Pain set in & it took 6 months for anything to really show up. That's where I am now with 2nd surgery. Make sure, like audbra said above, to look at your site, watch for draining, redness, and fevers.

Everyone is different, that's for sure, sleepiness could be from your meds if your not used to taking them. Hope you start feeling more like yourself soon. It takes time though so relax if you can.