Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Odd post op question?

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am nearly 4 weeks post op and I have the worst indigestion/nausea. I had an impaction shortly after coming home from the hospital and thought I was constipated, and was taking Colace and MOM as prescribed, which resulted in being very loose. I thought I had another impaction or blockage and the loose stool was going around the blockage. Basically I worried myself sick over it. On Sunday I was so miserable from the nausea I went to the ER. I got two bags of fluids (I was considerably dehydrated from having zero appetite/urge to drink) and they did a CT Scan to rule out a blockage. Ironically, the Radiologist said I had nothing in me! My last dose of any medication was Friday morning. This problem is not resolving. I am now on Phenegren, Zoloft and Pepcid with no relief. I stopped all pain meds etc I was prescribed thinking something was making me sick but that hasn't helped. I don't even want to eat. I don't know where to go for a solution. The ER doc says maybe its a Viral stomach bug but it has been going on for days!

Here I am going great with my surgical recovery but I am miserable everyday! Anyways, I apologize for the TMI, but I am wondering if anyone has had a similar situation post op?
advertisement

Comments

• you are having issues with stomach indigestion/nausea and bm routine.

I know each person is different post-op and anesthesia can be a factor, pain meds side effects and not drinking much fluids is not good for those issues.

Have fluids ready and wherever you are - - I hate plain water , but I do my fav fruit juice and water together. Post-op and adjusting to bm routine, eating, appetite and nausea. I'd have pudding, peaches, applesauce eating that when a meal didn't appeal to me. Also I swear my the orange flavored metamucil to keep my digestive track "on track". Oh and bannanas are great when that upset/nausea and no appetite.

I sure hope you don't have a "bug" as ER dr thought - - I would imagine it 's post op getting anesthesia out of your system (drink water/fluids a must!), pain meds.

Hope this helps, and you are getting thru this phase without any further worry (stress can do a real number of tummy). Do you have a good GP who can help advise you thru this phase? Have you changed pain meds or had any prior experience with the pain meds you've been on, wondering if you would be able to pinpoint if it is contributing to your symptoms.

Best to you and for things to get better for you!

Janelle
  • Wow, you're having a rough time. I'm 4 weeks today from an L5-S1 ALIF and I have had difficulty being able to eat - ranging from queasiness to food aversions. As a result of that my blood sugar kept dropping resulting in more nausea, dizziness & shaking. Once we realized that was happening I sipped juice and ate small portions of protein-rich foods. That helped quell the nausea & I was able to tolerate more foods. Maybe you will find this helpful. I'm not diabetic or normally hypoglycemic, but this may be anesthesia-related. My doctor thought that I may have had a viral illness, but my continued improvement when following a hypoglycemic diet - and my backslide when I don't - doesn't give credence to viral illness.
    Hang in there. It's tough, but each day we heal a little more.
    Pat
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • Hi there, You really need to call your regular Dr. Indigestion, nausea, no appetite, and not even wanting to drink enough fluids is not a good sign, and there could be something serious going on with you. Stopping all medication suddenly may not be the best decision, and it's possible that you are in WD, though you mentioned that you were already sick. Maybe your Dr will do a complete blood work-up, at least to start with. I really hope you are feeling better soon.. please keep us posted.
  • Sorry I neglected to mention I had full workup - blood, urine, & Xrays. All were WNL. I was febrile & dehydrated too. After switching to cranberry juice I was able to drink more & different things. We drink Brown Rice Green Tea everyday. I'm back to drinking that throughout the day. The brown rice adds additional nutrients.
    Pat
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • Sorry I neglected to mention I had full workup - blood, urine, & Xrays. All were WNL. I was febrile & dehydrated too. After switching to cranberry juice I was able to drink more & different things. We drink Brown Rice Green Tea everyday. I'm back to drinking that throughout the day. The brown rice adds additional nutrients.
    Pat
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
advertisement