Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial Failed, not sure what to do now.

bcslayerbbcslayer Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well I did my scs trial and tomorrow will have it taken out. It is painful for me to have it on and did not benefit much from it at all so have decided to not have it implanted. It was a hard decision because I wanted it to work so badly but did not get much releif from it at all. I was afraid if I went ahead with it and a month later said I was still in pain I would not get the treatment I need. My pm doc agreed it was not working me so not sure where I go from here. I am on 1 5mg lortab every six that does not work for me. I was on oxy but got off it a month ago because I started taking to much. I have tried neurotin, lyrica, savella and also am taking cymbalta right now. The problem was it felt like my pain, the stimulator. Any adivce is helpful and just wanted to let you know how it went.

• I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience during your trial. I was fortunate that there were some benefits, especially better rest, when I had my 4 day trial and now that something is wrong with my stimulator and it isn't working at all, I know how much it has been helping me!
    Best wishes for another solution for you.
  • that you didn't get the relief that you hoped for with the trial. It does happen though that the scs trial replicates or even aggravates the pain that you experience.
    I didn't do the scs trial but had something similar happen with a TENS unit. They applied the pads, turned it on and it dropped me right to the floor.
    The rep from the company was there thankfully and was able to get it shut off.
    Did your PM doctor suggest perhaps a pain pump implant? It may be too early for that, if you haven't tried all of the available pain medications out there.
    There are many others aside from oxycodone and lortab. Perhaps a trial of a long acting medication, like Oxycontin or Morphine might work better at controlling the pain you have. Is it more neuropathic or mechanical? There are also a lot of medications that work well on neuropathic pain better than neurontin or lyrica. Cymbalta is recommended to help , but you need to work up to the proper dose, like most medications.
    I wish you the best,
  • So sorry the SCS did not work for you.

It did not work for me either. As a matter of fact it made my low back pain worse. The rep said that sometimes happened. Also read it in the instruction booklet they gave me. I ended up having the SCS removed. Like you, I really wanted it to work for me but it did not. I was crushed.

I now have a pain pump implant and am so very happy with it! I have my life back again!! A pain pump is for when nothing else works for you.

You have a lot of other medications you can try.

Best to you.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W