Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laketahoellaketahoe Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello, im new here and have a couple of questions. i had L4-L5 fusion with rods and screws on 1/26/2011 my ortho-surgeon has been telling me to rest rest rest for the first 6 weeks then i start PT. At no time has he told me to walk. my first question is shouldnt i be walking? from everything ive read here everyone says walk a short distance every day.When i told the PT that i had walked a day over the weekend she told me that was a bad idea. im very confused about all this.
So i started PT and got a TENS unit which the PT wants me to wear to PT.She has me doing exercises and then asks how i feel. so today im wearing the TENS and she is showing me an exercise to do while im sitting and i pulled something in my groin. Why would they have me wearing the TENS wouldnt that be masking how i feel while doing the exercise? dont i want to feel whats going on while im in PT?

any ideas are welcome
thank you

• mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    laketahoe - I am 20 days post tlif. I was told from the very next morning after surgery to walk, walk, walk. They did not want me over walking but said to do little by little. One it helps with NOT getting blood clots and well I think it is good to do walking in moderation. I am now walking 2 laps around our high school track very very slowly and my os said that is fine but not much more than that. You have to listen to your dr. though and if you do not understand why this is his/her decision then ask, I am not a dr and cannot give medical advice but maybe due to type of surgery or complications etc they want you to take it easy until they say. Remember you are the one paying them so you ask whatever you need to to make you comfortable with your recovery.

Good luck
  • I'm all for walking as the main activity, with gentle stretching every day.

During recovery last year, my physio started me on Pilates and it increased my pain, so I modified the exercises I could do. Just sitting on one of those Swiss balls sent me into a major flare. I couldn't lay on the floor, so I did them on my bed.

I would encourage you not to push your recovery as you could injure yourself. Recovery takes a LONG time and lots and lots of patience. Make the most of this time to concentrate on getting well again, and it's very important to observe the bending-lifting-twisting restrictions until your surgeon says it's ok to do more. Don't sit or stand still for too long as that puts a lot of pressure on the back. Once you fuse, it takes another 6-9 months for the fusion to become really strong.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008