Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad to have found you!

bombkittybbombkitty Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! I am glad to have found the site! I have 2 severe disc bulges at C5-6 and 6-7. I am going in for anterior fusion this coming Tuesday and I'm here to learn as much as I can about what to expect. I'm a 36 year old wife and mother of three. I am also a 16 year Air Force veteran still on active duty. I injured my neck on my last deployment to Iraq in 2006 and have tried physical therapy, steroids, injections, muscle relaxers and other drugs. I'm curious what I am going to be able to do after I recover and how long that is likely to take.
Pleased to meet you all.

• HI,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Thank you for your service to the country. As far as the surgery itself, I and many others here have been through it. There is a animated video here that shows the surgery you might be interested in.
    As far as recovery everyone is different. Have you asked your surgeon about working following surgery? Depending on your job will depend on the length of time of recovery. Do you know what type of bone graft material they will be using? If it is your bone recovery maybe a little longer.

As far as what to expect post surgery, you more than likely will stay less than 24 hours in the hospital. Some wake up with all the pain gone except surgical pain. You might wake up with some bad muscle spasms, but that has to do with the position in during surgery. There is a thread in the surgery forum at the top of the page that goes over post surgery needs. Sometimes neck patients will feel pretty good and have tendency to over do it. More than likely your lifting restriction post surgery will be a gallon of milk. Most important thing I can say is bring some throat lozenges with you to the hospital. Also have bendy straws.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thank you so much for your service! good luck on your upcoming surgery.. you will find lots of information on your procedure and what to expect after surgery on the forum.. please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. i hope this is your chance at becomming pain free!! stop by anytime.. SH can be a good friend during recovery... Jenny :)