Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bike riding

geminigirl1965ggeminigirl1965 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Just a quick question im nearly 5 weeks from having my operation..(see below)
when or if can i ride a push bike again?

• about your left leg....having movement in an of itself is a good thing. I am hopeful you'll get the feeling back. As far as riding a bike...I'd ask your Doc. I think your really fresh outta surgery and I would doubt that you are fused. Take it easy for a bit...heal and do the right things so that you heal nicely! take care and keep posting your progress.
  • thanks i see my PT on the 6th april so will ask her .. i drove my car round the block today felt ok ..
    still movement in left leg no feeling tho :-(

hope your ok

• Hi, and very sorry about the problems you are having with your left leg. Hopefully over time the feeling will come back

Anyway as far as bike riding, i would'nt even think about that for a while.
    What is recommended is a stationary bike called a recumbent bike. It has a back for the seat, to support your back, to avoid hurting it any more.
    When you go to P.T. they will tell you the same thing i'm sure.

Good luck to ya,
  • yeah they have them bikes at my gym ..so when they say i can do that i will start swimming n gym

i really need to lose weight fast

• been told by PT to use a normal bike rather than the bucket seat one as she said that would put too much presure on my back by stretching my legs at the wrong angle from my back ...
    we will see this week as i start the gym again treadmill bike and swimming ...

im still in lots of pain, and there seems to be different pain too ..went to docs on friday there is nothing they can do just wait and see if it settles im 6 1/2 weeks since op

• But you seem to be rushing back to activities very early.I know we all get bored after surgery,etc but I think its a risk to far gone .You have your whole life left yet.Its very important to let your body heal/fuse.Too much activity too early can be a cause of fusion failure.
    I am 12.5 weeks post op & still have probs with pain etc.My first fusion failed,& when they did the second,they found the bottom screws were both loose & the left rod had slipped,nearly right out of the screw head.
    My advice,be very gentle with activities till at least three month mark.
    Good luck & best wishes.
  • HI mike
    Thanks for the reply .. I'm going on what the pt said I could do ... but will only be doing any of this as long as my back is ok
    I won't do too much although I am doing quite alot round house

• Yeah I understand.
    I live alone,& can't avoid having to do standard house work.Fortunately I seem to be able to manage ok,if I take extra pain pills.
    But I want to know I have fused after having one failed fusion I tend to err on the side of caution,for the first 6 months any way.
    Surgeons will not take out hardware till at least 6 months at the earliest,as they want to be sure the fusion is formed & hardened.So that gives you an idea that it is able to be harmed in the early stages with too much movement.They say that the hardware protects it all,but that can be loose etc.
    So be gentle for 6 months.Best of wishes.
  • My surgeon gave me the go ahead to drive at 6 weeks, but he also said I should be cautious and, if my back was painful, NOT to do it.

Anyhow, I did start driving after 6 weeks, but I had a really sharp pain in my back when I twisted around quickly (and unconsciously) while reversing - I now rely on my wing mirrors much more as I want to avoid doing the same thing again - but these things are easily done and sometimes cannot be helped - just be careful.

Like you, I was also keen to do some form of exercise so I figured buying a bike would be a good thing. Nope! It turns out, after 3 weeks of riding every other day, the sitting position really aggravated my back pain, so I returned the bike.

If you embark on any new exercise, then please get your surgeon's advice first. You are still very early in your recovery and I wouldn't want you to undo your surgeon's good work - it's just not worth it. For me personally, I found walking and swimming was the best exercise.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • well i did a med gentle walk on treadmill n a mid gentle bike ride now will see if back flares up or is ok ....