Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds and Work

winkerwwinker Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Pain Management
If there is another forum that would be better suited for this, let me know. Seems like it would fit almost anywhere.

Anyway, my husband had two failed back surgeries and spinal ccord stimulator several years ago. Was on pain meds for quite a long time due to failed surgery. Just recently had acervical surgery and went back on meds prior to surgery (while waiting to figure what to do) and after surgery and
now working his way off of them. Just the other day he found out that his stimulator has a loose wire lead and will have to go back in for surgery to fix the lead.

His boss made a comment recently about a mistake my husband made at work and said in a real cocky voice, "the pain meds must have been working real good that day, huh?" I think that was very inappropriate and quite honestly horrible mean spirited of him. My husband is the only reason this company can stay afloat in this economy. He is the one that gets all the jobs for the company (no one else there is in a position of finding jobs for them) and has been right back at working from home day and night following each surgery. That hurts both my husband myself. Especially since I have seen what he has gone through. I felt like calling him up or sending him a nasty E-mail. I know that I cannot do that and have to stay out of it, but it is so darn hard not to run to his defense against this jerk. If we had the funds, I would say up and quit today. II almost feel like I wish he would do it anyway and we would face the fire later. It would be a fire however.

Please give us some encouragement or thoughts on what to maybe say to a boss (owner of the company) in defense.

• No one has the right to treat people that way. Just reading it makes me so upset. I had a boss say something like that to me before. I would be looking for a different job.
    Sorry to hear that your hubby is going to have to have another surgery. I hope he is okay and if you ever need to vent feel free to PM me.
  • Winker,
    Making flippant comments comes from lack of knowledge and understanding, all disabled people endue this discrimination. Many work colleagues have no experience of how living in constant pain can be and the effort required to pretend to be functional which takes all our strength and emotion. Working and medication are a daily challenge and only the person attempting this process knows how difficult this is and the unseen effort required to continue.

The important thing is that you told us and it is sometimes beneficial to say something at the time, this will not be the last time people make inappropriate comments, many here know how difficult working can be and all the views that you do value, should be supportive.

Unless you are going to contest all these uninformed you have to develop a strategy of how to deal with this in the future, although we all have the right for respect changing these people is not an easy task, this being your boss does change the situation and some adaptation if your husband is to have surgery and be supported in the future.

Take care and good luck.