Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have a 2 level fusion followed by a 1 level

keith_45kkeith_45 Posts: 71
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering how the recovery after a 1 level fusion compared to their 2 level fusion. The 2 level was rough on me and just hope the next one will be easier.

• from what i have been told ANY fusion is hard to recover from ..i myself am waiting for a 3 level ALIF i am in the uk
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • OK, that was a lie..the one level wasn't fun either. I read your post because I had a one level fusion a little over a year ago and it was the worst experience I personally have ever gone through. Now, April 5th, I'm going to have that replaced with a two or three level fusion. I was kinda hoping that this wouldn't be as bad.

Looks to me like any time someone takes the drills and hammers to your spine is going to be rough on ya. I hope that you and I both have easier experiences the 2nd time around.

Peace out,
  • I had a 2 level fusion done about 10 yrs. ago C5-C6-C7. I remember that it hurt like heck, they only used cadaver bone for the fusion process and I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days. I had to wear a soft collar for 3 months. Last December I had another fusion C4 to my already fused C5-C6-C7, this time they used cadaver bone, a titanium plate and 4 screws. I went in for surgery at 8:30 A.M. and left the surgery center at 4:30 P.M. I didn't have to wear a neck brace at all. I think that this surgery was far more painful than the first. I also had to get use to the plate pushing against my esophagus, it made me feel like there was something stuck in my throat all of the time. I also have more right arm pain with this last surgery and it will not go away. The only good thing about it is that I did not have to wear a neck brace at all this time around. I hope this helps and good luck to you. I have my L3-L4-L5-S1 fused also and I have a disc herniation at L2-L3 so I might have to have my L2 fused to my L3-L4-L5-S1 in the future.
  • Went to Dr yesterday and asked him the same question and he said this one would probably be much like the last one. Not what I was hoping to hear. He said he has to take the rod out of the other screws and replace it with a longer 1 that will go through them all so he will be right back down in there where the last surgery was as well. Just wish I could wake up and it be week 3 post op and then it wouldn't be so bad. Guess it will be all worth it in the end. Just hope this will be the last.
  • I'll be watching -

I currently have a 2 level, but am expecting that next level to go. At least that's what NS says - it's a matter of when not if.

I have gone 2 1/2 years so far though - woo hoo! I don't think any of us expected me to last this long. Chalk it up to good living, I guess ;)
  • 9 days and counting. The 21st will be here before I know it. I've been off a week and already sick of this house. Not lookinh forward to being stuck here for 3 months.