Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Damage FEAR.

Nikki1212NNikki1212 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
X( :''(

I am a new member. I'm glad I found this site because I am so depressed and scared about the fact that It was just confirmed today, March 24, 2011 that I have L3 and L4 nerve damage on the left side of my back and L4 and L5 on the right side. I was hit by a drunk driver in December of 2010 as a pedestrian. I read about the person on this site that was gardening and moved the wrong way and didn't feel their leg, I'm so sorry for you and I hope you are recovering nicely. I am a pole dancing instructor and fear I'll never dance again now. I am currently attending school for my degree in nursing but know absolutely nothing about nerve damage, I'm a new student. I am so scared that I'm gonna move the wrong way and become paralyzed. I already lost a lot of feeling in my left toes and my left ankle is broken. This is not the extent of my injuries either. I have broken ribs, head trauma and a few other things. I have severe pain in my back when I stand or sit for 20 mins or more and can't wear my stilettos anymore. To some of you that may be trivial but I'm a 37 year old extremely active women that can pole dance like a pro. I am depressed and so nervous about moving the wrong way. I know I'm blessed and fortunate to be alive, I've been told this by dr's, attorney's and medical professionals, however, it does not ease the pain or the fact that this women drank and drove and now I have to pay for it for the rest of my life. In addition, her insurance company will not pay for any medical bills for me because her coverage is in Delaware and she hit me in PA...... WOW are they kidding me? So now I have to pay for all my doctors bills, physical therapy and I do not have health insurance. I will not be able to get the proper care or treatment due to the fact that I can't work because of this accident so how can I pay for any treatment. "IF", not when, "IF" I win a settlement, I then have to turn around with that money and pay for my medical bills. She got away with breaking the law and changing my life forever. I will be in pain forever. I have a 4 yr old little boy that I can't even pick up due to the pain. If it wasn't for him, I think I would have rather her killed me!!!!

• It's so rough you're going through this all because of a drunk driver. This is a heartbreaking story to read this about you. I hope you can get some free treatments or therapy at a University training hospital so you don't have to pay anything. I don't know how that works because I don't live in the States. I hope you're able to finish up your studies in Nursing and heal from your injuries. I'm glad your little boy is there cheering you on in life. I hope you get some pain relief soon. Take care and we're here to support you any way we can. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, I am sorry that this has happened to you. I hope that you have a good attorney to represent you. Here in Ohio you can get an attorney that would go after the driver, her insurance, and make sure that there was a fair settlement for your injuries. Yes you would probably have to pay some medical up front until the settlement, and the lawyer would get his 1/3. But if they were good you would be taken care of medically before signing off on any kind of settlement or your future medical accounted for. Ask around to find out who is reputable in your area. Who will fight for you and do the best for you. It might take some time, meaning a couple of years, but it could take that long to figure all your medical problems out. I wish you well. I have been there. I was only 21 at the time of my accident (Not my fault) and no family around to help or guide me. It was a real learning experience dealing with insurance companies, a lawyer, and then just trying to heal up from something I did not create. Stick to your guns and don't let anyone bully you into signing off on anything until you feel you are 100%. Even than you don't know if the future will bring you problems from that accident. Good luck and speedy healing to you. Beth
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i am sorry for your pain situation... you sound like you are out of options and very upset..i hope talking to us helps a little! a teaching hospital is a really good idea to check out.. i have used them for many years... i do hope you are able to find some type of help one way or another!! once again, good luck to you! Jenny
  • sorry to hear about your situation ,you are in a good place here we have an amazing communal knowledge regarding pain in the spine .i hope that you can get your back sorted .be it medical or surgical or both .just make sure that if you need surgery ..you get an excellent surgeon ..there's no substitute for your back dont accept second best .i am in the uk and we have a different system here ,so i can't comment on what you would do regarding the driver that hit you .but i am sure that you have sought advice on that one ..have you tried a TENS to help with you pain? and one last thing .....dont give up..i know its very hard work living with pain and very restrictive and very frustrating ...but dont give up
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I'm so sorry that you are going through this. When injuries happen through no fault of our own I think it is worse.

I'm confused about why her insurance isn't paying. Car insurance covers you no matter where you are driving. So it makes no sense that they aren't paying because of where you are. What they might mean is that doctors in PA don't participate in their medical payment program. For instance in NY we have no-fault and doctors participate in the program, just like they would take blue cross or another insurance. But not all doctors have to participate and if I were seeking treatment in another state it would be hard to find a doctor who accepts the insurance.

But that doesn't mean it's not covered. You probably have two options. Either to submit bills to her insurance or to go to DE for treatment by a participating doc. Of course the real problem might be that she doesn't have insurance.

On the other side do you have car insurance? IF you do then your insurance will often cover you even if you weren't driving in the accident. I know this sounds weird but it's true in many states and on many policies. It's usually a uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. So you should check with your insurance agent.

Hope this helps in some small way. Unfortunately car insurance or lack of it is a huge problem in this country.
  • Sorry about your accident. I dont know much about the insurance. But i am i lumbar patient. Have you had an mri to see whats might be causing your nerve pain? As long as they check you out at least with exray or mri to assure there is no damage to the spine that can cause nerve damage down the road then they should be able to clear you for your activity,

Thats the only way you wont have to worry about nerve damage hapening. Or have you already had an mri? If yes what does it say in your dr view? Meaning is it damaged or compressed from something at the moment? If its compressed then hopefuly its not damaged yet enough that it cant heal. ,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Nikki-
    I'm sure this has been a very difficult time for you, especially with a young child. My son is 9 & my daughter 15 months. I know how bad it hurts to not pick up my children. The trials we have to go through are hard to understand. I sometimes question why I am going through the things I am, when I didn't do anything (no accidents) to get this way.

Have faith & keep pushing forward. We were never promised that life here would be easy. You are still here for a reason & I'm sure your son is very thankful too (he may not know it yet). A mother plays a very big role in a child's life, you may not be able to do all of the things you imagined but your love is what he needs.

Many prayers,