Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad couple of days....

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
Due to insurance reasons I had to change meds (from Fent patches 25mcg and roxicodone 5mg to just Norco 7.5/325 2,3xdaily).I have NO coverage until until I hit my $6k deductible, so I am on my own as far as paying for meds and office visits, which is the reason for switching meds.

For the last few days my pain has been quite a bit more intense. So I waited it out before I started calling my doctors office. Well yesterday I couldn't even sit through my classes and had to leave. I figured I better call because it is interferring with my day-to-day things I need to do and I can not afford to miss class and take the chance of getting behind. So I call and my regular nurse is out of the office so I leave a mesage for the nurse covering telling her that I am having a lot of back and neck pain and asked her if there was anything I can do, and if I can take one of my roxi's to help ease the pain. She calls me back and starts going off on some tangent about my old prescriptions and medication, asking me why I still have it and why I didn't turn it in. Then tells me I may find myself in big trouble for not giving them my leftover meds or scripts he had written previously. Needless to say I am a bit confused and shocked and yet she continues to inform me that I better not be wearing my patches anymore and I need to get in to the office ASAP to give them everything I have. WTF?!?!?! When I finally got my thoughts together and could speak I told her I was just in the office and saw my doc a few days ago and I had all of my meds and scripts with me and he told me just to take them home with me (after they counted them of course). Nothing she said to me addressed what I called about, she was talking to me in a very degrading way like I was some idiot. And there is no way she even read my chart because she asked me things that she should have known if she even glanced at my chart. After that conversation I just sat and cried for about two hours because I am already depressed as hell and she put the icing on the cake for me that day.

I will be calling my regular nurse Monday and talking to her about the way this nurse treated me..... This is the first bad incounter I have had with my PMs office and I am assuming it will be the last but still they should know how this nurse is talking to people.

I have always followed my docs orders and never used leftover meds unless I ask, which is what I was trying to do until she had a psycho moment on me. Sorry for sounding so grouchy/negative, I have just had a really bad week, one of the worst in about a year. Fentanyl patches were a godsend to me and with the lack of coverage I have now, I can't afford them so I have not really experienced this pain since I've been on them the past year. It is all coming back to me quickly how depressing it can be to have pain again day in and day out and how it controls you.

I am done rabbling, thanks to all for listening.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    also. Sometimes, while at the office, I've had to "phone a friend" and was fortunate enough my friend came in to help me understand and to be understood.
    My head may be more messed up from recurrent and recent stroke...but the meds don't help the head situation. Nor does chronic pain and for me.. depression.
    Personally, I try not to give out TMI for the very reason you expressed. On the other hand though, they do have a responsiblilty, when they hear something.. to them..alarming..like taking meds doc thought he D/C'd..to warn you. True, it could have been handled a little more kindly. ..not to mention, anything discussed over the phone is more difficult for people to ascertain our intent.
    There are decent docs and..not so decent...but my experience is ...miscommunication is a reoccurant theme. Hang in there!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I'm so sorry you had to deal with that Mel. As a nurse, I see all too well the differences in nursing care. Some are very empathetic but others can be down right nasty. My usual response when someone is nasty is:
    "Did I do something to offend you because you are not speaking to me very nicely?"
    It is so hard when we are in pain. People who are not in pain, and do not live the lifestyle of one in chronic pain, have a hard time understanding us. I also get sick of being treated like a drug seeker or someone who is not really in pain and is "exaggerating".

I went to the ER by ambulance one day because of severe stomach pains. I asked to be taken to the ER where I used to work, because I knew everyone there and would feel more comfortable. To my surprise, one of the docs I KNEW and WORKED with for years came into my room after the test results came back and said to me:

"Wow, you;re really sick. You test results are horrible, I guess you're not just another drug seeking nurse"

I was floored. These are people I knew. This was an ER full of my friends, but the minute they see my medication list, the warning signs go off for them. They immediately think "drug seeker". I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks due to a case of ulcerative colitis.

I wish they taught more in nursing and med schools on how to be more understanding about people with chronic pain. I have thought long and hard about asking the school that I graduated from if I can go in as a guest speaker to the graduating nurses to give them a glimpse of someone who has chronic pain and give them tips on how not to treat us.

I hate to go into the pharmacy, I hate to go to a new doctor because they all treat us the same.

I don;t have answers for you, but I wanted you to know that I understand and it sucks the way we are treated. I sometimes wish I could get other people to feel my pain just for a few minutes, then they would understand.

Hope you have a great, pain free weekend..Dina
  • Sorry to hear about all these problems. Gosh, I was glad you had finally found meds that seemed to work pretty well for you. Stinks to be back in this boat, then to have some jerk talking to you like you're two on top of it. Hopefully you get to talk to the regular nurse today (Monday) and get it all straightened out. Mail me if you get time, if you want to. Take care honey bunny! Marion
This discussion has been closed.