Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting second thoughts

Annie-mAAnnie-m Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Dang, I keep reading post and I'm wondering if I'm doing this too soon. I can still do most everything albeit with varying degrees of pain. I wonder if I should wait until I'm really REALLY bad off and more immobile before I have my ALIF :OO

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• Annie,

What actually is giving you second thoughts? Keep in mind it is normal to be nervous pre-surgery. The one thing I always ask everyone is did you get a second independent opinion? Your the only one whom can decide if surgery is the correct thing for you to do. But I also tell everyone be sure to exhaust all your conservative type treatments first, as long as it is possible. Depending on your condition, sometimes conservative treatment is not available. If the post on the forums are making you nervous, always keep in mind we have success stories they have just moved on, as they no longer need the forums. Some of those very post that sound so bad those members have had surgery are out living normal lives now.

Sometimes it helps to write your concerns down. Also write all the things you should be doing that your not doing. Write down what treatments you have tried and so forth and your success or failure with them.

If you have more questions or concerns post them here and someone will come along and answer them. But your the only one to make the decision. If your on a long wait that doesn't help either. You might trying going out and doing something special for yourself, and see how you feel.
  • Tamtam, First off, thank you for your post as I do appreciate it. I have exhausted all my other options as far as conservative treatments I did chiropractic and massage therapy 10yrs which worked. Then epidurals for a 3 yrs or so. Then Radio frequency ablation. I was going to look into laser surgery but my neurologist said that it would destabilize my back on one side so that's out. I know you have success stories and I've seen some of them.

My biggest concern that is giving me second thoughts is that I will be giving up so very much mobility after the surgery. Right now I still do everything but I pay for it later with pain. I'm one of those do it all myself, never needs help, does it all for her family kind of gals. I don't have little kids just a 23 yr old son and my hubby. My hubby does most of the housework as it is (I hate mopping and sweeping~LOL~)

So it's just that I'll have to slow down a bunch and I'm not sure I know how to. I'll get the surgery, I know I need to for a better future but slowing down will be hard :SS

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • I went into surgery with minimal symptoms. I only had grade 1 spondy at L5/S1 but it was unstable. I also had disc bulge that first affected my right leg then switched over to my left leg. There were some other issues involved too.

I was having serious second thoughts about my surgery because of my minimal symptoms. I had my PLIF on March 18th. I am ten days post op and so glad I did it.

Now, remember, every person is different and responds to surgery different. For me, after surgery, PT got me up 24 hours after surgery. I never needed a walker or cane to get around. I did need help getting in and out of bed or a chair for the first 4 days. I still had nerve pain in my left leg so I was prescribed neurontin for it. It took about 2 days but the nerve pain has subsided too.

I am 10 days out now and not doing to bad. I have to wear a brace for 4 to 6 weeks. I take neurontin 3 times a day, 1 percocet every 6 hours, and 1 robaxin every 6 hours. I have my first post-op appointment on April 19th and will have x-rays at that time too. All in all, I think things are going well.

Best of luck with your surgery.