Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wearing high heels, kinda - Owwie

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi fellow spineys. Sorry I haven't been around much, but I've been seeing what's been going on, just not responding much.

Anyway, a while back, I bought some beautiful high heel leather boots that I just fell in love with while looking for some tennies. Of course, I had to have them. Well, I went to a concert last night with hubby and friends, and wore them for the first time, even got compliments on how nice they were.

We had a bit of a distance to walk, not too bad, I drove (it was way on the other side of town) and of course we were up and down in our seats throughout the concert. Add to that the need to stand in line at the ladies room and go get water at intermission, and today, my lower back is absolutely killing me.

I'm lucky that I wear tennis shoes to work every day and generally have no need (nor desire) to wear heels, but I did this time and it's really made a negative impact.

Have you ladies found the same thing? I mean, my lumbar has really been doing pretty good since I started my new job, even though I bend and lift a lot, so why would heels do this? Anybody else? Are my lovely new boots destined to stay in the closet while I just looking longingly at them???

PS Jim Howie, you're probably the only guy who can comment on this post because you've got those beautiful ruby red slippers...

• I haven't tried since November. I've got "needle toes" lately, ie little stabbing pains in my big toes, which, evidently are caused by my low back.

Heels make me slide forward & bang on those needle toes. They hurt when I'm barefoot, so it's not related to my shoes, but it definitely will aggravate.

I'm scared to even try wearing heels right now due to so much back pain. I can only imagine how much that would hurt.

Maybe you will get off easy & it's nothing more than muscle strain.
  • you happend to post this today. I just sat down after trying to do a bit of clean up. Went in my closet and was looking at my shoes and boots. I too have some nice heeled boots sitting there staring at me.After I sat for a break I was going to get a box and throw those lovely boots and all my high heel shoes into it to give to charity. For the past year I can't imagine wearing any of these and have that feeling that I never will. Great post Cath, I too wonder how other people feel about wearing heels with back pain.

Hope you had a wonderful time time at the concert, and I'm sure you were rockin in your boots!

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• I haven't been able to wear heels for years. Even before I knew that anything was wrong with my back, wearing any sort of heel would make my back hurt.

I doubt that I will ever be able to wear them again. I do look at some shoes and boots in the shops sometimes, and wish that I could get them, but know that I won't be able to wear them without pain. I sometimes look at people's shoes and wonder how they can stand and walk in them.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Other than the ruby red's
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ugh, I used to have so many shoes that it was pathetic, even embarrassing, but now it's a little embarrassing the other way around. I have even bought shoes just because and knowing I can't wear them-how ridiculous is that. Maybe your issue is not with the heels, but there is only one way to find out-lol. Oh .. you are talking to a woman here who can never wear heels again, and it is just one more piece of living that I put into my "those were the days" memory folder. Happy memories of a time when I was sexy and I felt sexy, now.. not so much /:)
  • Cath......

Heels...Are you kidding???? Sorry, but back and heels, bad Juju breads in my book - be it 10 minutes or more, bad Juju beads!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Cath,

I hope today finds you feeling better! I have to say that because I (was) tall... okay, because I was clumsy I rarely wore heels.... but boots have always been my weakness, flat, heeled, whatever!

I guess because my back was always so bad, I never got "into" wearing heels... but I've tried quite a few times with boots...I was able to handle it without too much after effects a few years back, but I would say in the last... 8 or so, for me it's been impossible:( It's not the next day that does me in, I can't even stand up relatively straight now if I try.

I hope you get more comfortable and that you're able to be a bit fashionable without pain :) What I found back when it first started being an issue, next day, when I would be sitting at my desk, I'd put a telephone book (or 2) under 1 foot...whichever side seemed to be giving me the most trouble, evne though I was sitting, it would kind of make things even out a little bit.

• ...they're beautiful boots. And I'm not talking spiked heels or anything, and they're not really high. I DID feel good in them, felt I looked sexy and fashionable, and my feet looked so small...but is it worth it? I may wear them again one day when I know I'm just going somewhere where I won't be walking or standing much. These things should last forever that way. LOL

But, like Robin, I'll put the feeling sexy in the memory category - I'm afraid those days are now gone. And like Clandy, it's not just any shoe that catches my eye - I'm not really a shoe kinda gal, I'm not Imelda Marcos or anything. It was just these particular boots that I instantly fell in love with and couldn't resist, even on an unemployment income.

Thanks for sharing with me and letting me know I'm not alone. I really didn't think much of it. I was thinking that the pain might be from going from flats all the time to suddenly wearing heels, but noooooo, it's the lumbar deal.

Dang it! I love those boots, I really love those boots!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Put them in a shadow box and hang it on the wall =))
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Seriously???

I got rid of almost all of mine years ago. I still have two pairs that I look at, and sometimes even put on, that are just beautiful. But I just can't walk in them. Not even from the door to the car.

This year I bought a pair of flip-flops. They are the great N_k_ ones that are cushy and mold to your foot. I haven't been able to wear flip=flops since my surgery and foot drop (wow-I think I just wrote a new county song) ((I ain't wore no flip-flops, since my surgery and foot drop...) =))

Anyway, I am going to give them a try!!
  • Cathie,

I've always been a bit of a "Tom-Boy" and too I went into traditional 'male' line of work for a career. I tried heels once in high school. I remember going to my locker, and I guess I stepped too far ahead? I ended up on the back side of that heel, and down I went into a full blown split!! Needless to say, that was the first and the last with me and high heels.

Later in life I saw they really weren't good for posture, and for sure NOT good if you have spine issues. So none have ever made it to my closet. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Oh how I wish I could wear high heals again. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried " just this one time", which always ends up as a disaster. The next day full of pain and suffering. I gave them up but not without a fight.lol. I hate to go shoe shopping because there are so many cute shoes with heals and it pi&&es me off I cant wear them. I stay with the tennis shoes and crocs. They are the only ones that dont cause pain the next day
  • I hate shoe shopping too come to think of it. Every time I go I end up in a bad mood-a really bad mood. I'm mad now just thinking about it and I'm wearing slippers. That's it I think, I'm always looking for the best slippers, the prettiest, softest, most comfortable slippers. I even wore slippers on Christmas day, they were new and matched my clothes, but still..

I can't even wear flip-flops or any shoe without a back (heel) because I have no metatarsal heads to grip and hold them on..so yeah, I don't much care for shoe shopping, and every year at this time I start feeling a little jealous of those pretty shoes everone seems to be wearing.
  • I love high heels too. Shoes/boots whatever. I always had trouble with heels because I'm tall and, if I was ever asked for a dance as a teenager, I would smile, say 'yeah', then stand up - only to find I was way taller than the guy - not good.

Since I've had chronic back pain for years now, and after 3 spine operations, I tend to always wear flats nowadays. I've bought MBTs, trainers, dolly shoes - anything to be comfortable, but it's so boring.

I still have my heels as I cannot bear to throw/give them away. In fact, I'm going to treat myself and wear a pair to my niece's wedding in June. I know I'll probably regret it, but I will take a pair of flats just in case - or throw them off entirely if I'm brave enough to get up and dance! There's a thought - I haven't danced for years. I wonder if it will affect my back - I guess I'll find out in June!!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I can't see the picture, it's just an "x"...
  • but painful. Dang...did I mention that I love my new painful boots?
  • You can still put the heels on in bed though. You know, with stockings and ...they can still be sexy even if you have to remove them before you can actually walk.... ;)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    High heels would put me in the hospital, believe me Ive tried to wear them. There are so many cute sandals out for summer all with a heel, makes me sad I cant wear them. Hope you feel better
  • I went shopping for a sensible pair of 'flaties' today and there are soooooo many pretty heels...makes me crazy!

Hubby bought me a lovely pair of wedge heels last year for my birthday (even though I knew I shouldn't wear them). I wore them for my birthday meal, and my foot slipped to one side wrenching right down my back.

I was in agony for days - that was probably the worst pain I've had.

How I long to wear heels again....hopefully one day :-(

Hubby is 6ft, son is 5ft 11 and still growing, daughter is catching me up. I am 5ft 4 and hate looking like a child standing next to them!

• berniepbberniep Posts: 7
    edited 03/15/2013 - 2:59 AM
    Im 39 years old male in 1991 iwas working and hurt my back all those years ive lived with lower back pain. I went to doctors they coundnt help me i coundnt walk it hurts sleeping about 4 hours which sucks. one day i had it though there must be something i can do well i bought myself a pear of high heels ive, been wearing them for two years now i walk better sleeping longer. even my girlfriend and family can tell. i even go out in pubilc dressed up as a women walk the mall go for coffee i feel great. can anyone tell me why when i wear high heels i dont have lower back pain but when i dont wear them im in so much pain.
This discussion has been closed.