Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice Needed

catbackhoe11ccatbackhoe11 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
Chronic pain, whoelese to ask but people like myself live it daily.
I have not seen doctor 11 years, I hurt had drop foot. Hardware l5 s1. Thoracic disc bulges. I choose no medication, and after function capacity test, went back to construction.
Operating heavy equipment, some days I literally cry.
I don't go doctors I'm old SCHOOLER, I guess.
I called pain management place. Said I had get referred. Said I needed to family physician, which I don't have, picked one from my network, (insurance) just a. M.d. is this right way? Red tape

I just want pain medication someday as needed. Some days I'm all good some days. 8( not good.

Let me know any advice you can thanks.


  • Depending on the type of insurance you have you may require a referral. Which a Primary care doctor could give that referral. That would be a doctor who's practice is general medicine. You might find a primary care doctor that will prescribe the pain relief you need. Don't be surprised if they want to order some images and do some testing to make their own diagnoses as that is standard procedure. Do yourself a favor and write down all the doctors and procedure you have had done in the past. It is important they get a accurate picture. Also many doctors will not prescribe pain meds on a first time visit, as they need to get to know a patient and be sure your not there for a one time visit to get something. While everyone here can understand your in pain, the doctors don't know you. Also be prepared to discuss what type of pain your having be it burning throbbing, stabbing, pins and needles, what makes it worse and what makes it better. Be accurate in telling them where the pain is located at and how it is effecting you. Typically those are all questions on the paper work they will have you fill out.

    To find a doctor ask some of your friends whom they are using for their primary care. Or you could call your local hospital and typically they have a referral system. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ....You are proabably aware, but be careful out there, esp. when first starting with the pain meds. I don't know why, but some days I'm taking meds and it feels like nothing..not good, bad or indifferent.
    Other days, I take the same or less medication..and I need to phone a friend if I need a ride anywhere.
    I am usually aware when I'm impaired, but there has been the occassional kind motorist who lets me know how I'm driving with the horn blasting or the other guy with his finger out the window for, like, five minutes. :(
    Besides the fact I don''t want to hurt anyone, I was told I would be in trouble, like a DUI if I was found to be medicated, even if otherwise the accident not my fault. Hope I never live through that.
    I cry, too. Good luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

  • or Primary Physician - if you just need medication for pain "as needed" and don't want to take something narcotic for the long term - I would not think you need to see a pain management doctor right away.

    I would go and see the doctor you have chosen, explain your problems and have a good physical and see what he can do to help you first.

    Good luck!
  • Dr. Prescribed fentanyl patch 12 MC
    hydrocodone 5/500
    Cyclonenzaprine 10 mg
    meloxicam 15 mg
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

    Just in case you aren't updated, the meds you're taking are:

    Fentanyl patch 12 MC - Severe pain med, extended release
    Hydrocodone 5/500 - breakthrough pain med, medium to severe pain med
    Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg - Muscle relaxer, Flexiril, generic
    Meloxicam 15 mg - Anti-inflammatory

    This combo should help, my fingers are crossed. Be sure to follow the subscription instructions and dosages.

    I think you'll be feeling a bit better now. Take care of yourself.
  • I sure hope these meds help you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.