Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the boards..support needed

TiaHTTiaH Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there-

A quick introduction of who I am first: Im a divorced 32 year old mom to 3 beautiful kids...11, 9 and 7.

I was diagnosed in March 2009 with Spinal Dtenosis, DDD and Spondylosis. I had a laminectomy in May 2009..

Then spent 3 months in the hospital in Feb. 2010 til May 2010 when I had a triple fusion/decompression surgery.

I recovered relatively well altho it was veyr tough I was told by my surgeon that the fusion was succesful. I wore my back brace for 3 months and abided by the strict orders.

By September 2010 I was given the go ahead to start getting back to regular life. By Christmas I started having pain again...went to emerg in January and had xrays- there ,I found out that one of my rods was cracked.

I was sent to see my back surgeon and he said we could either wait to see if it settles, or go ahead to investigate. I told him I needed a couple of weeks to sort this thru as I had NOT been expecting to need another repeated surgery. I had a catheter inserted in late February as I started getting urinary retention, just like last year. Darned spinal nerves.

Mid February I was back to see him and he scheduled another surgery for March 22 (it was cancelled because my Dr. lost his O.R date. ARGH!) I have been since rescheduled for April 26th.

At this point I am exhausted 90% of the time from doing practically nothing. Even walking 25 feet into a store from the car is out of my agenda so I just don't do it..without my wheelchair. I am walking around the house, carefully. Some moments I feel okay but then out of nowhere I move slightly wrong and am overcome with pain.

The past 4 nights my catheter doesnt seem to be draining unless I am vertical...my pain changed about 4 days ago more severe on the left quarter of my body and I'm concerned about a herniated disk or something causing it...but, im not sure.

I'm just looking for support from others who "get" back pain. My life has changed so drastically in the past 2 years since being diagnosed and moreso since February when my ability to do virtually any kind of normal every day activity has dwindled.

The surgery has been listed as an exploration as well as replacement of hardware & refusion. So, I'm not sure what he will see when he does get in there.

Thanks for reading and I hope to get to know some of you.
advertisement

Comments

• I had L4-S1 fused. Should have mentioned that!!
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. You have indeed found the right place and we do understand the pain your going through daily. I myself can certainly relate to the urinary retention issues as I suffer from them myself. Did the whole leg cath for two months and finally learned to self cath. So much nicer than using a cath bag. Now my hardware didn't break, I just rejected it, was a long three months waiting to get it out, with a fever.

You sure have been through a lot. Why did you have to spend three months in the hospital for the fusion, did something happen? That bites your surgeon lost the OR date. Waiting for surgery can be very frustrating and full of emotions. But maybe it is a good thing in that your kids will almost be out of school and can help you out more, depending on where you live.

Check out the surgery forum and post about your surgery there as well. Also if your ever feeling down or lonely we do have a chat room. You can find members there almost anytime of the day. While they can't help fix you they can ease some of your frustrations and share some laughs and information they have.

Anyway just thought i would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post. Good luck with surgery.
  • Hi Tia,

Wow, you've sure been through a lot for someone so young. Am so sorry you're experiencing more trouble. If I may ask, why were you in the hospital for 3 months??? Did you have complications from your fusion? Infection? That's a huge amount of time in the hospital.

I had fusion (L4-S1) with decompression and laminectomy six months ago and was in the hospital 4 days. Have done amazingly well and if I hadn't forgotten to act my age (63) a couple of months ago I would be 100% perfect by now (my back, I mean).

Thank you for sharing the background on your back problems and treatment. Tell us more about why the long hospitalization and maybe we can understand better what you're dealing with now. I'm sorry to hear your surgery had to be rescheduled but am glad you found this forum. There is a lot of experience and empathy here, just give people time to read your post and respond. Don't be frustrated if it takes 2-3 days as not everyone hangs around the forum all day, every day. Anyway, welcome! :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Is your urine output low? Is it possible that the catheter is kinked or blocked? That could cause some major back pain.
    Sorry about all the problems you have had. Why were you hospitalized for three months?
    Welcome to the site. Keep us posted with what is going on.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.so glad you dropped in!! please have a good look around the different forums and make yourself at home!! i am sorry for all your complications and problems with your surgeries.. i do hope you get this worked out soon!! good luck to you! Jenny :)
advertisement