Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days post op from an ACDF at C4, C5, and C6

kratoskkratos Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 8 days post op from an ACDF at C4, C5, and C6. Spent Monday night in the hospital and was discharged Tuesday morning. I am in a Miami J Collar until at least April 19th, my next doc appt.

My BIGGEST complaint so far is my throat. I know they inhibit you during surgery, and I also know as they move your pipes around during surgery. It just feels like someone boot stomped me on the throat, but besides sleeping time, its manageable.

As for other pains, I really don’t have any. My shoulders/neck area gets tired out, but other than that nothing really to point to.

My surgeon said out of work 8-12 weeks. I am thinking, really, at this point? I seriously am not feeling that bad, but again DON’T WANT TO PUSH IT, I know.

What was your recovery like? I am wearing my collar at all times but will say it doesn’t stop ALL movement, but I try and be as careful as I can.

Once the collar is off, what was your neck like? Did you need PT? Is this the bulk of healing time? I don’t want to count my chickens before their hatched and all, but I wondering why so long in recovery if I am feeling so good?

Also GOOD NEWS, Smoke free Cold turkey 8 days! The thought of lighting up repulses me!

• Hi,

One thing I want to let you know is during surgery they place some meds in your incision which helps so much with pain. Often times members and including myself have the honey moon period and feel not to bad after surgery. Then about two weeks out, the pain is a bit more. One thing I can tell you is that walking is the best possible thing. So if your finding yourself bored walk and when you think you have walked enough walk some more. I always like the 10,000 steps walking program you can find on google. Also sense your in the miami J brace that is providing much support for your neck, once you come out of that your muscles maybe some what weak and will need to get stronger. I have actually always felt much better in the brace and then when it time to come out, is when I have some set backs. As you can guess i have been through multiple surgeries. So you don't want to do anything to jeopardize your recovery. The 8-12 weeks will be up before you know it, so if your not in much pain enjoy the time you have off. If your really bored check out our chat room and share some laughs with some of the other members.

The throat deal can take a few weeks to recover. Hopefully that will begin to let up for you soon. Your still very fresh out of surgery so I wouldn't worry to much.
  • My biggest complaint was the swallowing issues. It took a long time to recover from that. I was using water to chase down all foods. Took a long time to eat meat, bread and sandwiches. I still prefer to use pita rather than a roll. I went back to work at 10 weeks and feel it may have been too early. You only have one neck and need to take it easy.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
    dealt with pain for 5 years before surgery
    tried PT, acupuncture, cervical epidurals and selective nerve root blocks