Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 7mnth mark, pain issues

julesgjjulesg Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had 2 levels fused in Sept '10, almost 7mos post-op. Started out fairly well after surgery, fusion looked really good (still does as of my last visit), was released from wearing the Miami J in Nov.& immediately started having severe pain coming out of the collar. If I don't use the pain meds, my neck muscles start to knot up. Had trigger point injections--did not help relax the muscles. Go back to the neurosurg office tomorrow. They said if the pain wasn't getting better--start PT. Still use the Miami J collar, especially for sleep or wake up in awful condition. Wear it off and on during the day, trying to wean myself. Anyone else had this experience with pain. What helped? Is this somewhat normal to experience pain this far out? Thinking it's weak muscles need to strengthen concerned because my ability to function is so limited and is this going to be permanent. Starting to take a more proactive approach, reopening gym membership to walk regularly. Of course, life doesn't cut any of us any slack. We have a young child, something is always popping up derailing my energies. Been fairly depressed with the whole thing, trying to be optimistic & patient. One good thing about hitting rock bottom, no where to go but up. Any input/insight is greatly appreciated.

• Sorry to hear your still having issues this far out from surgery. I can tell you that wearing the miami J brace this long is only weakening your muscles more. Getting back into walking is a step in the right direction as you need to strenthen your core body muscles. Hopefully your NS has some answer as to why your still in pain this far out. Be sure he/she knows that you are still using a Miami j. Good luck and keep us posted as to what they have to say.
  • Sorry to hear that! I think you need to stay out of the collar. I know when I came out of mind I wanted back in it immediately! I stayed away from it! My neck just needed to be strengthen by its self, I did just fine wasn't that easy I just wanted it all back to normal. I really don't feel you should be in that much pain tho especially this far out! let your Dr know you feel better with your collar on.hope you get pain free real soon good luck!