Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pain with no diagnosis

AnakinAnakin Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 1:51 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I am a male 37 years old with unbearable back pain (lower, theocratic and bum) for the past year. Due to a shortage of DR's it took me months to find one and I have since been to my GP about 8 times. I have had some tests. I have had a CT scan showing degeneration of facet joints fairly marked at L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5. I had an Immunology report that I'm HLA B27 positive and a have strong family history of back problems. I just had a bone scan and have not got the results yet. I have had no diagnosis of why I'm in such pain and why my mobility is so hampered.

At the emergence room before I found a family DR.(the emergency Dr is the Dr who gave me the HLA B27 test)said that I had an elevated D Dimmer which after running a lot of tests said that it was probably to due with inflammation.

I have so many unanswered questions and my family Dr is so short with me can someone please help.

1)what does fairly marked facet degeneration mean?
2)what is elevated DDimmer and how does it involve spine pain
3)My blood pressure is 153/97 and I never had high blood pressure before, is it the pain?
4)my grandma was old when she had my mom so most of them with horrific back problems in my family are dead, usually they died in there 50's which scares me.
5)Is it normal to have bad spine pain and only see a GP?
6)I have had facet joint injections that didn't help is that normal?
7) Its not just my lower back but all the way up into between my shoulder blades that hurts, why?
8)My Hla B27 test when he wrote it down it said positive and circles a 17 next to it what does that 17 mean?

I take 2 arthotec 75, 2 codiene contin 50, 2 tylenol, 1 Rasilez 150 everyday. These pills really only helps coughing, yawning and sneezing pain.

Why is this my situation and I have no idea whats wrong?
I have not had any diagnosis but my life has not been the same in the last year and the pain and mobility issues have taken a huge toll. Any information and help is greatly appreciated.



  • I think you need a referral to a Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon and your GP should be referring you for them. Also a referral for a Rheumatoid Dr. because of the results of your HLA B27 being elevated and your body showing inflammation. Even D Dimers and this HLA B27 shows that only a specialist like a Rheumatoid Dr. can help you with getting a diagnosis.

    Who gave you the facet joint injections because my Pain Management Dr. gave mine and had only short term relief also and you should let your Pain Management Dr. know our pain meds aren't working if you're having pain and get no relief and so much in pain that you can't even walk or exercise from the pain. I use a cane when I walk and it seems to help a little. I hope you get the help you need soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for your reply. I was just given a Rx of Ankylosing spondalitis. I will try to deal with it the best I can. However the pain is overwhelming at times
Sign In or Register to comment.