Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Belt or Suspenders?

airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This question is probably more suitable for the men, but there may be some ladies who can also comment.

I had a PLIF (L4-S1) in January 2011. Since then I have lost about 10 lbs (I know this sounds unbelievable) and my pants are literally falling down. When I put on a belt it hurts my back (DUH).

Have others on this list had to resort to the use of suspenders? I equate this to being old (comparable to being a grandfather) and I don't want to do it unless I have to.

• Or at least I do. Well, not the weight loss (I so wish!!) but jeans are not comfortable. I had alif/plif and anything rubbing where my incisions are hurts. When I wear a belt the back of it putting pressure on the incision causes a deeper hurt. The other problem I have is the bottom of my back brace pushing my pants down!!! Walked out in public one time with half of my undies showing!!
  • Yes, you got it right. I have been living in yoga pants. I'm not going to wear any old lady elastic waist pants. I did actually wear a pair of jeans for the first time today. They fit because of post surgical weight loss. Not a bad thing, but back to yoga pants tomorrow. At least they are trendy and not sloppy looking.
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • You can wear them under your shirt. Wear a tank, then suspenders wont rub on incision you can wear your shirt on top and no one will know! No mork from ork.... if you remember the show.
    Hope it works for you!
    Oh by the way I've seen some of the 20 somethings sporting suspenders on tv, perhaps its stylish again :-)

• I would use speenders, I would start wearing them if i did not have to use a turtle shell brace when i go out. Not only that, but your back isn't so tight, which i always find helpful.
    Usually when i wear jeans, I have to wear them lower then most people, because my spinal fusion sticks out some, and because my hips are so messed up from all the spinal fusion surgery, so suspenders help me out so much. If you can find a good pair, that don't look too unfashionable. Being 21, ....
    But, my grandmother told me, i should just wear them under my t-shirt which i guess could work too. But i have not tried yet.
  • You could always change your gender, then you could wear a dress if you liked. LOL! :jawdrop: =)) :))( 8}