Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rollerblading after a Spinal Fusion at L3-L5....Thoughts?

MomOf2BoysMMomOf2Boys Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I am a 36 year old woman who had a Spinal fusion almost a year ago and I am leery about strapping on my Rollerblades again. As a matter of fact, I had bought them right before I got pregnant, so they're brand new and I pulled them out to sell them but decided to do more research before I just give up on my favorite pastime out of fear. Granted, My ALIF surgery was a success, but I still have 4 other discs in my neck that will require surgery shortly for a fusion as well. I am not planning on Rollerblading 40 miles a week like I used to, I'd just like to take a leisurely roll along the neighborhood with my family. In all my years of blading, I've fallen three times, so I'm not exactly accident prone on blades. (I do have full safety gear and am even looking at different butt and tailbone protection shorts to make sure I'm taking care of my back. Do you think that's overkill? Out of the three times I fell, 2 of them were idiots that caused me to crash and one was me deciding to get crazy on a hill. My Gear has not a scratch on them....I'm confident of my riding, just not of my fear and I need to hear from some semi pro's that are out there doing "Mini Shreds" and still loving life,

I was just hoping to hear from others who have been in my situation maybe with Rollerblading, skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc. My Doctor said I was free to try things I used to do, as I'd like but I had to be careful or it could be "Catastrophic". That's not exactly what you want to hear! I am in good shape (5'3 125lbs) and have been in PT for 3 years and can already touch my shins after surgery with no pain and wiggle my hips, lol, so I would like to resume some exercise that is easier on my body then walking is, as I have SO MANY Degenerated Discs.

Any thoughts or help you might be able to offer would be wonderful. As a first time poster, I want to appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer my post. t's my last big fear to tackle and I want to overcome it if I may! Thanks for your help.:-)

• do your self a favour .sell the roller blades! ALIF surgery is massive and i am happy that you have had a good result .but you don't want to undo all the good work that your consultant has done ..my advice ..go swimming instead!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Like your Dr. said a fall could be catastrophic for your other disc's.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You have to balance risk and reward. That is your decision to make.

After 1-2 years if your fusion is solid. Then you should be able to do anything you want. Yes there are some added risks. You decided if it is worth it to you. Doesn't sound to me like you are a china doll. Don't put your life on hold and hide in the house because you might break.

I'm 18 months post-op and fused solid enough. Other than being told not to do squats and lift weights over my head. I can do whatever I want. Including some high risk activities. The outcome could be worse but think the risk is worth it to me.

If you really love roller blading then put it on hold until you're cleared. Then go have at it.
  • be careful start off slow if you undo just think about starting over GOD bless hawk
  • be careful start off slow if you undo just think about starting over GOD bless hawk
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi Lisa,
    Like the others have said here it is totally up to you what you decide. I think a lot of us here still need the "adrenaline rush" just to say we can still do it. I did give up the water skiing, knee boarding, roller blades, dirt bikes, and running as my Dr's advised me high impact of the joints wasn't in my best interest. I still do mountain bike although I gravitate towards road riding and worked my way back into the gym maybe pushing my weights a little to the north of safe. I guess it's in the back of my mind that I really don't want to tell my neurosurgeon, "ooop's, sorry I messed up the nice repair work you did on me by over doing it."
    Stay active but be safe!