Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Cervical Fusion symptoms

MacMMac Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, embarrassing but I need some questions answered if anyone knows the answers. Last week I had C4 spinal fusion and a titanium plate put in for support. Pre op symptoms were bad, real bad. Started off with numbness in my fingers, working into my arms, uncontrollable restless leg type symptoms but in my arms and legs. Also had difficulty with orgasms, I could have them but could not feel the ejaculation. After my surgery I feel 100 times better yet I still have very slight numbness in my fingers which i was told to expect and may or may not go away. My worry is the sexual dysfunction, it has not changed at all. Will this go away eventually and go back to normal? I am not due to see the doctor for a month but I may put a call in to ask him what he thinks. I have read this in many forums but it is mostly related to females, not males. At age 33, I want to have a normal lifestyle. Any ideas?

• to Spine Health.

Whether your symptoms will go away or not all depends if there has been permanent nerve damage or not.

If you had compression on the cord/nerves for a long time or very severe compression, they might have permanent damage. In that case they can't heal and your symptoms will be permanent. On the other hand, if the symptoms are being caused by temporary damage, then they could heal completely, or heal leaving some symptoms. Nerves are infamous for healing very slowly, and can take a year or more to recover from compression on them.

None of us can tell you, and even medically trained professionals, including the surgeon who got to look at them (!) cannot tell for sure.

I suggesst that you talk to your surgeon about it, and ask if there is anything that you can do to help the nerves heal. I am taking a Vitamin B supplement and walk every day. If you learn of any other things that may help, please let us know. I like to be proactive in my recovery and will do just about anything to help things along.

As many will tell you, just a week after cervical fusion surgery is extremely early on in your recovery, and there is plenty of time for things to improve.

Do keep in touch with us here. You will find that there are a lot of friendly people who will support you through this long road on the way to get your life back. :-)

• Are you sure your problem is related to your cervical problems? If you're not, then I would go to your regular physician for advice.

Best wishes,

• Thank you both. I know its early and I do plan to speak to the surgeon shortly. Patience is one of the key things I must learn to use in my recovery more than anything. I do appreciate it!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Just a thought about your "issue" could it be related to your current medications?? What are you current medications? There maybe an answer there.
    When did this "issue" start ... did it coincide with starting a new medication by chance??

Anyways ... again welcome!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• It's been there before I started taking any meds so I automatically ruled that out. Now I'm just on Vicodin and Ibuprofen.
  • Howdy Mac,

Welcome to Spine Health!! What kind of surgery did they perform on your C4? I am guessing you mean the C4/5 level? Was the disk on your cord, or on the exit nerve roots? I ask that because normally the neck doesn't affect the legs, but can if the cord was affected enough.

I would write down all your symptoms, pain issues (arms/legs) and your sexual concerns. This way you don't miss anything when talking with your doctor. It is very easy for us to forget key issues when we do get with our doctors!!

Have your doctors ruled out lumbar issues? Most commonly the L5/S1 is where issues occur. As for your neck related symptoms, nerves heal on an average of 1mm a day, so it can take up to a year or more to see what your maximum medical recovery is going to be sadly. Please let us know how it goes, and what they find.

Again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • edited as advertisement, by Tam.
  • edited by Tam as advertisements