Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

geminigirl1965ggeminigirl1965 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Good News
Well its that time of year that the garden starts to come alive
so today i sewed aprox 7000 seeds into trays of all types of flowers and plants
it was great therapy and i enjoy gardening and growing all my own stuff watching them grow and looking after them

just hope by time they come to be planted out i will be able to do it
i love this time of year

who else agree's?

• I am with you Gemini. I am a Taurus and have always loved the earth. I once had a two acre garden that I tilled with a small rotortiller. Taped a flash light to it so I could use it after the sun set. Talk about obsessive.

One of the decision factors that convinced me to have surgery in January was this very reason. I do not want to miss out on the yard/garden this year, but I also did not want to face that temptation prior to physical recover. Little did I know that recovery from spinal fusion is measured in months, not weeks.

Oh well. I must control myself and deny the temptation to till the garden, get on my hands and knees and pull weeds, broadcast seed and fertilizer by hand, push the lawnmower, etc. I vehemently refuse to pay a lazy teenager to do it for me. We'll see how this turns out.
  • hi Jim

i know what u mean i use to have a big green house when i was married ...
    now i have to make do with a put together one etc
    i love all the out doors i cant wait to go out walking with my bf again lovely country side and to the beach ..fresh air bliss
    but yes cos sometimes i feel great so u try and do something then ... you realise its not ok and you cant do it..its so frustrating

• I live in middle Tennessee. Our weather pattern for the past three weeks has been "back and forth" with 30+ degree temperature changes and rather persistent precipatation. Plays havoc on the instrumentation implanted in our spines.

By the way, I also had a L4 - S1 fusion with rods and screws on January 21, but without the post surgery complications you experienced.

I am just like Igor plodding along slowly awaiting bones to grow back together.

The arrival of this spring season is a new "bummer" for me aside from gardening. I have been an avid runner my entire life. That activity has obviously stopped and my surgeon recommended that I never do it again unless I want to undergo additional fuses higher on my spine. We'll see. Us Taureanians are very stubborn.
  • hi

from what ive been reading on this site .. i seem to be doing alot better than others ...but again im wondering if im doing too much ...
    you say your plodding along ... are you in alot of pain and what can u physically do?

• I have been blessed with a relatively pain free surgery and recovery, but as humans our ability to communicate pain levels is very limited, frustrating and misleading. Pain is personal. Each of us live with our own pain, not knowing how it compares to others'. Thus our confusion. All I can do is compare my current (post op) condition/pain level with what I remember it being prior to surgery. As time passes our mind blocks the unpleasant and we tend to forget the pain.

So, to answer your question my post op abilities have not been that limiting. I was supposed to have a minimally invasive two level posterior fusion. That changed when the surgeon got in and realized that my bone spurs, etc. blocked his view and prevented this option. He then cut me on both sides of my spine (3 inches and about 6 inches). My one night hospital stay turned into 3. However, I did not have to wear a brace. My mobility was very restricted for several days, but I was walking up to one mile within 10 days after surgery. I am 59 (and holding) with a generally good state of health (69 inches tall and 150 pounds weight). I have always been very active physically so I think I entered this surgery with some advantage in that regard.

I have noticed that my type and level of pain varies, a little bit predicated upon what I do but more so on the healing process. My hope is that it will all go away at some time. Currently I am taking two percocets daily (5 mg) and on some days the pain sets in earlier so I take three. Understand, I have been a chronic back pain sufferer for almost three decades and I have never taken any narcotic meds. This is new to me and I am adjusting. My goal is to become pain free without meds as a result of my fusion. We'll see.

Sorry for the rambling response.
  • well today is not a pain free day for me ...in agony new pain dunno why will see how it goes ...
    prior to my op i was in alot of pain some days more than others ..so im taking this as healing pain and not perminate pain..i do too also want to get rid of my meds i have been on them way too long but needed them also ...
    the last few days its been wet here and that plays havoc with me ..today suns out but windy as hell...things keep taking off lol
    hope you have a good pain free day