Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The toe bone is connected to the ankle bone -

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
I am always intrigued when my Physical Therapist and my Deep Tissue Massage therapist really dig down and analyze my body.

Because of the multiple spinal areas that I have compounded with my shoulders, many of the pure 'regular' physical therapy sessions do not work for me In fact they have proven at times to be more harmful.

My Deep Tissue guy always told me, our bodies our Stereos. When you have a problem in one area, there is another part of the body that will be impacted. And many times its not always so obvious.

Because of the 'water-bailing' that I had to do in February, my Lower Back, Thoracic area , Cervical area and Hips took a good beating. I've been in more discomfort and pain recently and its all over my body.

When they do take a good look at me, they both see that my Hips and Hamstrings are WAY TOO TIGHT. And that in turn has thrown hips totally out of alignment thus shortening up one leg which them puts me into a limp, which has a negative effect on my back, which in turn then aggravates my groin pull, which then starts to trigger my rhomboid muscle in the thoracic area which finally excites my cervical area!!!

The complete domino effect!

So, there plan, attack the hamstring. My physical therapist has a few stretches that help and being in the pool helps. But when I went to my Deep Tissue guy, he had me on the floor and was digging his toes into my hamstring...

He said NOPE, too tight, turned me over on my back and then started to do the same thing, in the middle of my thigh (there is a real deep muscle underneath) and was pouncing and jabbing at it. This was the most painful procedure he has put me through in over 3 years.

The following day, I went to my Physical Therapist and she was amazed at just how much more mobility I had. But it aint over, there are going to be a number of more sessions.

Next one, tomorrow at 09:30am. If any of you here screams around that time frame (EST), its ME!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I'll be screaming right along with you tomorrow. I have manual PT in the afternoon. At my last session, she actually worked in deep into my armpits to pull things into alignment. (good thing I had shaved them, lol). Sounds strange, but I had pretty impressive mobility in my neck when she was done. The way things have been explained to me is that you have to get deep to the root of the problem in order to fix the top layer. This deep tissue stuff really hurts, but after 6 weeks of therapy, I can see an amazing difference. Mine is called manual physical therapy, but I think it is much like what you are having done.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Have you ever tried Graston technique? My PT delights in torturing me, but I'd have to say I've found over time that it hurts so good. I just grit my teeth and let him have at my muscles, and by the time I get up off the table, I can really feel the difference. It has really helped to release a lot of the tension I've developed in trying to compensate from my aches and pains. I definitely know about the stereo effect too. Lots of times the right side of my back hurts when the problem is really in the left side. Crazy physiology.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I just started neuromuscular massage therapy, what's the difference between that and deep tissue? My therapist (only had 2 sessions) also stretches me. I too have what my PT called the tightest hamstrings he ever saw. Always making left leg long / right leg short. He would adjust hips & SI joints by pulling my leg & pending my knee while pushing towards my chest. Two days later. . Same thing.... left leg long? ??
    And yes it makes for uneven gait and then you limp and oh no your back is out again!!!! How do you break the cycle?
  • Virginia,

My pretty cane helps with reducing the differential load on my back when I walk. Without it, I start to hurt pretty darn fast as I limp off my left leg due to weakness. If I am real active in my house (most times in the house, plenty of hand holds, so don't use the cane) I start to hurt. I did notice a bit of relief with the cane, and a bit more distance with the hubby shopping!

I know some people have a stigma feeling about a cane (I know I did), but once you get over that, they actually help give some of your mobility back. Albeit, you lose one arm for activities - gotta give and take as they say. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I got myself a rock n roll cane and use it when I have to walk more than a block or so.... I do wall walking as I call it in doors when leg weakness creeps up! Use my arms for stability hey gotta make do! Right.
    Hope you are feeling well my nocturnal buddy. I feel asleep twice for all of 20-30 min, ugggh it's 3:30 in our lovely but rainy sunshine state!
  • Hehehe Virginia, I like that description! I too am a "Sunshine state", but rain is slowly heading this way - we NEED it!

I like that description for your cane. I've found that people strike up "good" tasteful conversations when you have a neat cane vs the standard boring black or brown cane!

Yes, nocturnal I am! Trying to sleep a wee sooner, suppose to see my Neurologist on Friday. Tomorrow I *hopefully* will be able to sleep sorta/kinda normal!?! My back isn't cooperating of late - big surprise there.

It's nice to see another who uses walls, couches, the cat, to get around in the house! :) I hope you're doing a bit better my friend. *HUG*

• Sorry about your back. .. :-(
    Hopefully you can get some news from the Neurolgist tomorrow. I'm going next week myself for emg.
    I did finally sleep at 4:30 am! Man did it pore in SW florida last night! We needed it here too, dry/fire season.
    I am feeling better today...no jinx! But after the cervical epidural Tuesday I was miserable so its nice not to be :-) !!!!
    Even if short lived, i'll take it!

Rock the cane Brenda!

• More rain coming today! Lol!! Like Ron said though, and I see it daily. XX spot is the primary for ouch, yet the opposite side of the body (or a leg/arm) hurts due to the loading change? I had reconstruction done to my left knee back in 89, but every once in a while if I limp enough, the knee hurts, and I know that surgery was a good fix. Go figure huh?

Sigh...the human machine, odd bird that it is!!

This discussion has been closed.