Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two weeks Tomorrow

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Stop Smoking
Wow for all you out there who think that you can't quit smoking or chewing you can, trust me. It's mind over matter just tell your self NO, and have some self control. I have chewed tobacco for 10 years and had 1 can a day, minimum. I recently had back surgery and I'm 26 years old and my Dr. said that I wouldn't recover right if I didn't quit chewing. So I did no gum, patches, pills, or fake stuff just the good old cold turkey. It has almost been two weeks for me and was really ruff at first but now It makes me sick to think about putting that gross stuff in my mouth and I will never do it again. I'm so happy and proud of myself because I have tried many times before with little success. I'm also tired of hearing my 5 year old son tell me I need to quit or I will die. So what is the difference this time, why can I now? For me it's the recovery of the nerve damage to my leg after this back surgery and I really want to recover so I quit. Not the fact that it costs me $20 a week to slowly kill myself and ruin my teeth and gums and possibly get cancer and die, but that should be enough. So to all of you who are still trying to quit you can do it, i'm your dr and im telling you that your loved ones love you and want you to be around for as long as possible so quit now for them and for yourself, you can do it. Good Luck, Dane

• Thats fantastic news!! I think we can do anything we want as long as we have the right motivation. The brain is a very powerful thing.

I am smoke free for 2 weeks cold turkey too! Same boat. NS said "quit" so I did!
  • Good job both Dane & Kratos!

• That was a very encouraging post.

It's been 2 weeks for me too!

You're right that it's all in the head. The other night I really wanted a cigarette so much (evenings seem to be the worse time for me). However, instead, to take my MIND off of it, I went and had a lovely hot bubble bath. Last night, the urge came back again really strong, so I used a mouthwash to freshen up. I just needed something immediate to keep me busy when I have these cravings. Someone told me that after 3 minutes the mind stops craving because of the distraction and it seems to work (for me anyway). Just thought I'd pass the tip on in case it helps someone else.

To everyone who is trying to quit now or in the future, I sincerely wish you heaps of will-power and the conviction to say NO!!!!!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!