Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone :)

GrissomLoverGGrissomLover Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Alison, I live near Seattle, WA, and joined yesterday. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and that can relate to what I'm experiencing.

I'm 35 and last year was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease. This runs in my family as my older brother, dad, and grandmother have had some disc issues.

I first had problems in August of 09, and was referred to physical therapy in late December. I had trigger point injections-in Feb of '10 and a couple cortisone shots (both in April) in my neck and a few days after the second shot the disc started to rupture and had no real improvement from PT, in fact I was getting worse, the physical therapist referred me to a neurologist(May '10) who then did some range of motion tests, etc.. then referred me to the surgeon that ended up doing my C5-C6 Cervical fusion. All is good in my neck aside from some tightness in my neck/upper back.

I now have a L4-L5 extrusion and was referred to a Pain center. The doctor there is into "Mindfulness" to manage Chronic Pain. He kept saying it's not like I have cancer where the nerves are being eaten away and causing pain, you have to continue to be active even tho it hurts. "If your pain is unavoidable, your suffering and misery are optional". He did schedule me for a nerve block and cortisone shot. We'll see how that goes.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm glad to have found a forum with so much information. :) Looking forward to corresponding with some of you.

• Hi Allison! I am new to the forums as well (although I have been stopping by and reading posts for months). I hope you find support and understanding here. I look forward to hearing more from you.
  • I am also new here.Great to run into you guys & the site.Isn't it awesome,after feeling alone & lost for so long.
    Sorry to hear that you are in pain/discomfort tho.
    Just thought i would say hi & thanks for sharing with us all.
    Mike --NZ
  • I'm new too! Some doctors sure can be jerks! I was told I was old at 45 or was it 46yrs old! :O
    Make sure your are comfortable with your doctor,there are good ones out there, you just have to look for them!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! there is lots of information on DDD from videos to doctor loaded pages of info...there is also the forum itself which has a special forum just for "DDD." please make yourself at home and have a good look around.. i have DDD as does my sister and my mother.. genetics?? @) good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to our forum :))) I'm from the other side of the world in Perth, Western Australia.

I hope get good relief from the nerve block and cortisone injection.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008