Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck surgery

sherryemmassherryemma Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I will be having decompression with multidisc fusion C3-T1 on April 12th. at Twin City Spine. They will be cutting in both the front and back of the neck. anyone have this done and can tell me what to exspect? Thanks, Sherry

• Sherry,

Welcome to Spine Health. You'll find a lot of great information and support on here. So far my cervical surgeries have been anterior only. You have a lot of levels they are going to do soon. There are a few folks on here that have had their surgeries addressing both anterior and posterior, and I am sure one or more will pop in here soon.

I just wanted to Welcome you to the site. You have found a wonderful place in coming here. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find there are many of us that are multi-level fusions. I have had the posterior/anterior surgery and for the most part it is the posterior that is the hardest. You will also find members whom have either or and their knowledge on that approach can help as well. From the anterior side you will have some what of a sore throat possibly for a few weeks. So plan as if you had strep throat, with soft foods and liquids, and don't forget the throat lozenges. Be sure to take those to the hospital with you. From the posterior side the hardest is the muscle spasms. So be sure you have a good a muscle relaxer.

As far as recovery goes everyone goes at a different speed, but the one thing I strongly suggest is get walking as soon as you can. You can even look on the net for a program like 10,000 steps. But be sure to follow all your surgeons instructions. In the surgery forum at the top of the page is a very good list of things you may need post surgery. Be sure to bend at the knees and not lean over as you don't want the pressure on your neck.

I have always prior to surgery figured out where I would hang in the house and set everything up before i left for the hospital. Like paper, pens, phone, books, computer and charger, remote controls even had a cooler that just needed to be iced. More than likely you will want either a recliner or I used my couch with the high arms and had all my pillows and what not. That way depending on how you feel it is all ready for you. Better to be prepared than not. Be sure to bring a button up shirt to the hospital. The first day you come home you might not feel like doing anything, so you could just bring whatever your going to lounge around in, so you can come home and just relax. If they are going to use a neck brace check about extra pads, as they can get smelly after a while.

Do you know what type of bone grafting material they will be using? I hope it is your bone, as multi-levels have a higher fusion rate with cadaver. So something you might want to ask your surgeon. Of it is your bone, the hip might be your most painful. So be prepared to have some issues getting around. I have used my own bone and it is doable.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted on how you do.