Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My pain management appointment Wednesday, 3/30

sue in ohiossue in ohio Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
I asked about a NMES machine (neuromuscular electrical stimulator) which I have heard is best for fibro and chronic myofascial pain and other pain as well. The company called me when I got home and they have a TENS machine that has 17 different treatment programs on it , one of which is a NMES. It will arrive Tuesday and then I am to call the company and they will explain how to use it and all. She wants me to use it 8 to 10 hours a day, but as this treatment takes weeks before it starts to work, I need to be able to wear my 2 lidoderm patches on the low back and volatren gel on my hips so I can exercise, clean, etc. So I will wear it a couple of hours each evening instead. The good part is since my deductible is met my insurance company will rent it for me for a month and if it helps they will buy it for me!

I agreed to try an S1 injection which they don't knock you out for if they gave me a 10 mg valium to take before hand so I don't have an anxiety attack. The nurst told me they numb it before they give it and it is over in a minute. She has had them several times and they are not that bad. I will hold my judgement will afterwards and see for myself.

The doctor gave me tylenol 3 to try in place of my darvocet when the pain hits bad at night. I have found that the cat's claw and tart cherry capsules I heard about from Dr. Oz, have cut the arthritis part of the pain by about 40% so I am very happy about that.

I am very pleased with my new pain management team and can't wait to try the new machine and see if it leads to relief in my hips at night.

sue in ohio

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    A lot of people have good results with Tens unit. I hope your one of them.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • What are you talking about here? I have terrible arthritis and most of the meds I try for it give me terrible stomach problems, heartburn, etc. I have had two esophagus surgeries to have it wrapped because of bleeding ulcers in my esophagus and take prevacid twice a day for that so have to be pretty careful. You mentioned this – can you tell me more about what it is please???
    “I have found that the cat's claw and tart cherry capsules I heard about from Dr. Oz, have cut the arthritis part of the pain by about 40% so I am very happy about that".
  • My insurance bought a TENS unit for me after renting it for 10 months. The also pay for replacement pads every month. I don't use it every day, but when things get real bad it helps.

I have had several nerve blocks/injections l4/l5 l5/s1 Doc calls it bilateral, bilevel foraminal injections. They put an IV in and give me a coctail just before the injection, doesn't knock you out but you don't feel all the pain.
    I can tell the Doc when he has hit the right spot as I'll feel it in my toes. The blocks usually knock the pain down for 3 to 4 months. I have another one next week. Good luck to you.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • the machine came today and when I tried following the directions to use it, I got so frustrated with it I ended up in tears. The directions might as well be in Greek. I will call the company back tomorrow and may end up sending the stupid thing back. I just wanted a simple neuromuscular unit to attach to pads on my low back and hips and turn the thing to wear it felt comfortable for an hour or so and that was it. This thing has so many modes and buttons and I have to use program 12 for 3 hours then another one for 1 hour and a third one for an hour. I may just go to amazon.com and buy a NMES maching for under $100 and see how that goes.

To be honest with you, I do not think any pain doctor has anything to offer me. The injections don't last long enough to be worth it and I get too many side effects of reactions from pain meds. I am ready to say to heck with all of them. Most of the time the pain is not that bad and when it is I go to my chiropractor and he helps me the most. Things are just too complicated any more.

sue in ohio
  • Mouse, I order cat's claw and tart cherry capsules from Puritan's pride and am having pretty good results. NOw today I am in pain due to the weather going from warm and rainy to cold and snowy in 12 hours time which flares up the fibro and all the other pain issues at once then not much helps. But daily pain due to the arthritis is definitely helped by the above mentioned herbs.

sue in ohio
This discussion has been closed.