Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Deciding to Take surgery or not

AndrasteiaAAndrasteia Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI, Im new to this whole thing, so I'll start at the beginning. In sept I got hit in the top of my forehead, throwing my head all the way back and knocking me down 4 steps. I've been in treatment since Oct. I had injections, Physical therapy the whole works and nothing has helped at all. The disks in my neck are against my spine pinching off the nerves. Dr sent me for surgical consult, and i was told that surgery at this point is my best option to take away the pain. He explained all the risks and how the procedure will be done and everything. (he wants to do fusion) So I called my Dr after the appt and told him what i was told, then he says I dont really need surgery. So this confuses me 1st. I did the research and read all I can. everything the surgeon told me is what i found in everything i read, only 1 thing missing and here is where I need some advice. Surgeon says I will lose about 5% of normal mobility in my neck and Dr says I will lose all mobility. Problem is I have no mobility atm cuz of all the pain, so can some one please tell me 2 things, if I take the surgery will it help, and how much mobility will I have afterwards. I appreciate the feedback.


  • i too need a fusion {ALIF] 3 levels .i have already had 2 operations and after 15 years of pain i am not getting any better i wanted ADR {artificial disc} but my spine is so bad the only option is a fusion ..but i ...like you have been doubting it i should go through with it ..but after many months thing about it ..i feel i have no choice as my life is sitting on my recliner and taking pain killers ! i am hoping that the fusion and the 36 month recovery time given to me by the consultant is worth it ....my advice to you is find a top end consultant as you want the fusion to be done by a top consultant .its your back and you dont want some meds student practising on you! if you are in the uk i can recommend a top man ..good luck with your decision and let me know what you decide.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • thx..My surgeon comes highly recommended and he does alot of this type of surgery. At least atm I'm only getting a 1 level fusion. But he is top of his field where I am,
  • If they are fusing just one level you won't lose all of your Rom(range of motion). It is typically said that you can loose 10% per level. But there have been members who have had one level fused and don't feel they have lost any at all. I have 4 levels fused and still have some ROM. Now it is true once you fuse the spine it does change the mechanics and places the fusion movement on the other levels. But only a doctor could tell you what the odds are you would suffer adjacent level failure.

    If your confused about surgery and being the best option for you get a second opinion from another surgeon. Until someone has been in this pain they really can't understand it. My GP was that way till he need a cervical fusion and now understands clearly what I am talking about.

    Welcome to spine-health and keep us posted on your decision and how you do.
  • Im pretty sure I need the surgery, nothing helps the pain and so surgery is a last resort. I guess more tha anything I'm afraid. But the surgeon was really great at explaining things so I could understand and I decided after my pcp did a 180 to research it myself. The only answer I didnt find was about ROM. Your answer was very helpful to me and helped me to ease my mind a little. Surgery is scheduled for April 27th. And my surgeon did explain that future fusion might be needed. He was very good at going over every detail with me. There isnt anything I read that gave me any information that he did not, so I am very confident in this surgeon. So thats 1 plus. Again tyvm for ur advice and ur reply.
  • I have problems with my back, and I will be getting surgery again(had a discectomy), and it took A LOONG time for me to decide that yes, I do need surgery. My quality of life is going downhill. It is seriously something personal between you, and your surgeon. It is a hard decision. I am ready to go on to try for a new life now, even if I get 25% better!!!! :)
  • well I scheduled the surgery, Im ready for this pain to be gone, I've been living with it too long and I guess like u my quality of life is going down hill, it gets hard to even drag myself outta bed. I am so discouraged I dont even wanna go to physical therapy anymore. I know I need this surgery, I think more than anything Im just scared, surgery itself is a scary word.
Sign In or Register to comment.