Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

homemade sitting comfortably cushion

FenrysFFenrys Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
:? I don't know about in US but in UK certAin things can be very overpriced (not expensive but worth the money Plain extortion lol) so I made one and I am passing the tip on :-) I have put it in chronic pain as I am guessing that's where most people will see it :-)

Right, what am I talking about? I'll tell u;-). We all sit down yes? And due to pressure on the spinal cordf etc end up stiff and in pain?? You can buy special cushions with a "cut out" section under the cocxis(bad spelling) thus allowing the spinal cord to float in a suspended neutral pressure free position! No more painful sitting (from pressure on spine)

HOW? Get a square of foam at least 7cm thick and on one side cut out a semi circle so that it is central and inline with ur cocxis (make square same size of seat used) make a cover if u like (I just use a pillow case) and away we go!!

Honestly guys if u haven't tried one then please do- I can guarantee it will make sitting for work/craft more of a pleasure and less of a pain!!!

Try it - sarah

• Sarah,

Excellent on being creative. You're right. Like most things, if people desperately want it, the price goes up. In the US we call it "Free Enterprise". You charge what the market will bear. In reality those prices are gouging and extortion ;-)

I have several cushions, just dense foam, I have cut up in several fashions. For sitting on, under thighs, in lumbar, behind neck. Take your idea with your scissors and shape a cushion.

Now on this one for lumbar spineys. For some it may help. I find it is only good for a short period of time. Then it is of no more help than the chair cushion itself. Once your lumbar spine loads down it is under pressure. That cushion does not remove it all. You still need to get up and stand and stretch.

I'm sitting across a pillow I hacked up that is more under my thighs going forward. It tilts the angle I sit at further back. Using an old box instead of a fancy foot rest. I have created a poor mans 0-gravity effect. That helps me more than cushions.

Keeping on trying new ideas and being creative. It will save you lots of money on rip-offs.

• Hi graham,
    This is my 2nd reply as I lost the other one somehow lol(phone keypad ggrrrr);-)
    Congrats on 0-grav !!!its fun to mess about with things trying to make ourselves a bit of comfort eh?

Don't feel (personally) the spine feeling so compressed when I have nothing pressing upward - only foam under bum cheeks ;-) I found I could sit for 30 mins (long time for me) before I had to get up! Whatever anyone sits on its still good to move around ;-)

I've only been completely disabled (complications)for 10 years so am a relative newbie to cushions pmsl

If between us we can help 1 person get a bit of comfort then I will feel happy :-)

Get any more ideas - let me know??

Take care -sarah
This discussion has been closed.