Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm NOT going down without a damn good fight !!!!!!

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Two things:

Firstly, I have been given a date for my spine injections on 26 May - YAY!!! I really hope they make a big difference to my current pain levels.

Secondly, I had my 'return to work interview' today. I have officially started my phased return, which will continue after Easter. Double YAY!!!!

BUT................ Before this meeting, I attended a 2 hour training session. Even though I used the backrest and chair wedge on an ordinary seat (which my employers have bought me specifically for this purpose), I still had to get up and walk around quite a few times. If I'm honest, it was really painful sitting in that upright '90 degrees' position for any length of time. I don't sit on any chairs like that at home, or anywhere else come to think of it.

Oh dear, I know that I'm not out of the woods yet, today has proved that to me, but I am keen to get back to work and start living a more 'normal' life. I will just tell people that everything is "fine" and will see how I progress as I go along. I will NOT accept that I will always have continuing back problems at work UNTIL I GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT FIRST. Obviously I'm disappointed about this as I thought (with the pain meds) I could handle it all when the time came. Well, now that time has arrived and it's worrying me all over again.

I know some people might say "I told you so" but I'm NOT going down without a damn good fight!!!!!

Phew, I feel better now!!! Thanks guys/girls
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I own a Cleaning Service and continued to work with my ruptured L4-5 for almost 4 months with VERY modified work.
    I saw your post and wanted to give you encouragement and wish you all the best.
  • Sue,

Keep thinking with that positive attitude, as it may take your back sometime to adjust to the sitting. But keep up the positive attitude you can do it. Don't forget if you have a sitting job their are several good stretches to do through out the day that may help. It will take some time to get your back in a position to sit for long periods of time, so be patient as hard as that maybe. Good luck with the return to work. Cudo's for making the first steps.
  • Good for you!
    I will tell you the return to work is tiresome and will definitely have you questioning yourself and how well you are doing but that being said, your attitude is great.

When I returned to work, I did the standing/pacing in meetings. I have a workstation that has a good ergonomic chair but even with that, I also have the option to stand (I use a laptop so just move it to the standing station when I need to stop sitting). I did the drink lots of water so I was forced to walk around. I came home and slept a lot.

Well, low-and-behold, a year after my 2nd surgery and I do pretty good. I can now sit for an hour meeting (most of the time). I can now get through my day without planning how I can leave early. I look back and realize I have come very far.

Keep your eyes on the prize and know that this is just another set of milestones on your way back to the new normal. And, like you said...if you head into the return with a positive attitude like you are doing...you will feel good about yourself regardless.

Keep us posted!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
    you will be able to overcome any obstacle. Even if something gets in your way, slows you down a bit, causes some more discomfort, you will prevail!

You outlook is so very helpful towards reaching your objective in maintaining as comfortable a life you had prior to surgery.

If we could bottle up your attitude and pass it out to those that need it, it would be amazing to see just how many people can do IT!

Thanks for this post, I only hope people read it and then re-read it and re-read it again
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ...... a genuine 'THANK YOU' for all your comments. They are so encouraging.

(PS - I think for those that know of me, this is the shortest post I've ever written, and these few words don't count, ha!!!!!)
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Glad to see it. Better than most on here.

Sitting is painful and will never get completely better for me. Once I've sat for an hour my spine just aches. Try and sit a couple of hours and I get some leg pain. Part is damaged nerves and compression and part is having a disc missing. Get up and walk around and stretch. Just like you did. Plan on doing that forever and save yourself a headache. All the back rolls and cushions in the company won't make sitting great.

Other than sitting I can work as long as I want without any issues. I exercise as much as I want too. You can do it and your attitude will most certainly help you a lot.
This discussion has been closed.