Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Plasma Disc Decompression

markfmmarkf Posts: 6
edited 09/19/2015 - 1:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
recently released clinical trial on Plasma Disk Decompression:

Here's a little info slide I found on how this works:

Any opinions on how effective this procedure is? and/or personal experience?

• Last week I went to a neurosurgeon to talk about the ways of treating contained herniated discs and he said that this procedure ('destruction of a tiny portion of disc using radio frequency') is the first surgical step for those who failed to treat their herniated discs in non-surgical way (this neurosurgeon does this kind of procedures himself). First of all, it is minimally invasive and doesn't cause any spine instability or scar tissue related problems. Secondly, the chances of making a patient's condition worse than before are very low because local anaesthesia is used and when the needle with electrode is being moved through the tissues to the disc it sends weak impulses so if the needle sticks into a nerve or something like that a patient feels tingling in the corresponding part of the body and he or she can tell the surgeon about it. Thirdly, only a little portion of disc is destroyed and that causes big changes in the volume and the pressure of the disc and also that means that this procedure can be done after some years in case your discs bulge once again in the future.
    Also a neurosurgeon said that this procedure works good for young people because their discs contain lots of water and even if you don't succeed or don't get any relief you aren't left with more problems than before the surgery.
    What is more, this procedure can be done either using radio frequency or using laser, and as I understood he said that radio frequency has more advantages versus laser (I forgot to ask why, my bad). I will try to find out about these differences between laser and radio frequency by going to another surgeon who uses laser for this kind of surgery, because it's hard to find normal amount of info on these topics not to mention the fact that real experience of surgeons says more than text one can find on the internet. But one thing is obvious (only in my case, I live in Europe and I don't know what is the situation elsewhere) - radio frequency costs a lot of money (you have to pay for that electrode yourself) while laser is free. So if the efficiency of both procedures are quite the same, it's logical to choose laser.
    Sorry that my post is scattered and not fluent, but I wanted to put in my two cents.