Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recurring Symptoms & PT

CatmomCCatmom Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening all,

Two issues I have questions about. First, had lumbar discectomy in early January this year. Did great for the first six weeks and then leg symptoms started recurring. Neuro checked and no re-herniation. Am actually weaker in leg than I was before surgery at this point and the pain increases with any activity. Is this normal?

Second, I started PT and the majority of the pt exercises strongly exacerbate the pain... one actually made me cry (well, eyes were watering, I didn't let on to therapist though, was embarrassed.) They must have noticed something though as they decided to change focus and try different types of strengthening exercises. So how can they get my leg strength built back up if I can't do the exercises? Is this normal?

Sorry this is so long and convoluted. Thanks for any insights you have.

• Welcome to our forum. :)))

Laminectomy/discectomy didn't help my pain but this surgery does help a lot of people.

With physio, you may need to modify the exercises and let the therapist know if they're causing you extra pain. Discomfort is normal but pain flares are not.

Hydrotherapy which is more gentle, may be better for you, or you could try walking up and down the pool.

It takes a good six months and sometimes more to recover from this surgery.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks for the response Trish.

I will talk to the PT about water treatment availability in the area. The local university has a pool, so I can check into lap or open swim for walking too.

Guess I'd better swallow my pride and admit the pain and numbness that the exercises are causing to the PT.

Thanks again!