Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal cord tethering?

speedy2056sspeedy2056 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I was diagnosed with spinal cord tethering last week. I do not recall the level or placement. I was born with spina bifida and am confined to a wheelchair. I have some good movement of my legs even though one of them is numb from the knee down. It is that leg that I get more of the cord tethering pain on. I also have hydrocephalus and chiari malformation. I catheterize intermittently every 4 hours, approximately.

In regards to my spinal cord tethering, I asked the surgeon (who diagnosed me with it) what would happen if I left it. He said most likely just pain. Well, the internet says otherwise! I am now worried about possible motor function and bowel deterioration. I have a history of being constipated, anyway. I can leak between catheterization but this mainly depends on the volume of fluids I drink. I may drink too much at times.

Pain is minimal with my spinal cord tethering - I get it mostly if I slouch or lay on my back in my bed. It feels like a dull ache at other times during the day, but can get worse when I am in those positions. The pain also is intermittent and I am used to it's presence. I made the choice of not having surgery until necessary but I read horror stories about the cord splitting or even SNAPPING! Is this rare??

After doing research, I am actually amazed that I wasn't diagnosed with cord tethering when I was a child since most spina bifida children have the surgery at a young age.

I really hate surgery, even though I have had many. I have a big fear of being anaesthatized. I am now 29. Is there a good chance that symptoms will badly deteriorate at some point?

I'll be grateful for any information. Sorry for the long post!