Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange sensations in head

debzzddebzz Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was diagnosed with herniated disc and bone spur 9 yr ago at C5/6. Multiple symptoms and pain over the years including vertigo and strange feelings ih my head. 8 yrs ago had year of getting a falling sensation everytime I closed my eyes and relaxed like going over the top of a rollercoaster- had big impact on my ability to sleep but went away after a year - thought to be neck related.

This started again 6 months ago on and off - on good days it happens a few times before I fall asleep but on bad nights especially if I have been stressed in daytime it will last for up to 3 hrs and by then I am a anxious wreck unable to sleep even with sleeping pills. Plus I have constant nerve pain from neck to top of shoulder if I use my arms at all.

Just had another mri of neck results due tomorrow and awaiting appt with neurosurgeons. My Gp is certain that the horrible sensation is being generated by my neck when I relax my neck muscles.

I have just got 10mg of amyltriptyline for pain and also diazepam to see if its muscle relaxing effects will help. Dr said don't usually give together because both are sedating but safe to do so and see if they help.

Questions are - does anyone else on here with neck problems get any similar sensations in the head and anyone else take both these drugs at same time??

• Hi Deb.

Welcome to Spine Health. Was wondering if you have been evaluated by an ENT yet, or just your GP so far? I have found that when experiencing issues with balance or vertigo, a good ENT and a Neurologist are invaluable when it comes to getting to the root of the problem.

I've had similar issues and there were two different causes and some subtle differences between the two which the doctors trained in dealing with this were able to isolate quite easily.

In the past I have been on Elavil and Valium together without any problems. We all react to medications differently, so it is important to follow your doctors orders and monitor yourself for any potential side effects.

Hope you are able to get to the bottom of this soon and get some proper treatment.

• Yes, debzz, I too have weird sensation in the head. It's hard to describe, but sometimes there's tingling and burning at the base of the neck and the head. Do you also feel pressure above and around the eye? I used to get panic attacks when I was in bed with my eyes closed due to the feeling of disorientation. I'm assuming you have severe headaches too.

After surgery, things have gotten much better. That's how I know all my dizziness, disorientation and head sensation were from C5-C6. Let us know about the MRI and what NS says. Good luck! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches