Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What precautions to take to avoid re-herniation

sriramssriram Posts: 1

Can someone please advise me on what precautions to take to avoid another re-herniation after discectomy?
I had an L5-S1 discectomy just 3 weeks ago to remove very large fragments of my ruptured disc. But the same disc re-herniated (ruptured and extruded a lot)a week after the surgery, due to no apparent fault of anyone. I am going in for another discectomy on 4/11 to remove the new fragment(s).

Thanks in anticipation...

• Don't cough or sneeze, or get the hiccups either, and don't roll over too much when you are sleeping...or live life too large.

Just kidding, seriously though, outside of just common sense and taking care of yourself, there is often nothing you can do to prevent a herniation. But maybe I'm wrong?
    Welcome to Spine-health and good luck with your discectomy on 4/11.

• Sriram,

Welcome to Spine Health!! Sorry to hear you re-herniated. Been there, done that myself. I re-herniated once just picking up my 12lb cat! Blew an adjacent disk yawning of all things!

So Robin, you probably *aren't* far off the mark!! Try to be cognizant of your posture, be careful if working out (weights), or even say doing laundry and your movements. Avoiding impact sports is probably a good idea until cleared, and then with caution.

Sadly, sometimes no matter how careful we are, re-herniations happen. I hope all goes well with your upcoming surgery. Again, welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi sriram
    Welcome to this great forum (quite new myself) People on here have been really great and I hope you get something out of it :-)

Re-herniation? As above really just about covers it just be aware of how you move ;-) Apparently if you sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees this keeps your spine in a neutral position - I am guessing then (its the case for me anyhow) that you are less likely to fidget/toss and turn in your sleep or if you do, you don't tend to end up stuck flat on your back (its happened often lol) like a turtle ;) Good luck with your recovery - take care
  • I'm 28 and after a car accident August of 2010, I ended up with L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc herniations. After trying PT and traction for months, I ended up having a Left sided L4-L5 microdiscetomy/laminectomy. It was outpatient, I had some pain, but nothing I couldn't handle. I had been in pain for 8 months and am a Nurse that works full time at a very busy hospital always on my feet. I love my job :) Needless to say it was about 3 days after surgery and I was noticing some weird big patch inside of my left foot that was numb yet severely painful with movement. Also the worst was I had foot drop with my left leg which means I couldn't lift it and it dragged when I walked. Went back to othopod and sent for an MRI that revealed a NEW large L4-L5 herniation with nerve root involvement and it was severely compressing my spinal cord. Went in for emergency surgery 10 days after the first one. Now I'm getting home PT, still have the foot drop in the left side. Got fitted for an AFO which is a brace to help lift my foot when I walk and have severe pain. I am on Lyrica 75mg 3 times a day and valium, flexeril and percocet as need which is all the time. I can't stand all the effects of Lyrica. I can't stand being a zombie, getting depressed and gaining weight.
    The doctor told me that was so soon to reherniate the disc, but that most sensitive time after surgery is the first two weeks and bending or twisting motion and cause it. I had lots of family help after surgery and have no clue how it happened. I was also told he didn't want to to a fusion because of my age and active lifestyle so we went with L4-L5 discetomy/laminectomy. He said he took out all the bone so recovery would def be alot harder. I was in the hospital for 5 days and still feel like crap. The doc also said it coud take about a year for the numbness in my left to go away. I'm still not allowed to work until at least mid june. Please help, does anyone have a similar story ???
  • Hi, 2 days ago i got microdiscetomy at L4-L5 and L5-S1...on day one i went for a walk because i felt great and the doctors said it was the best thing I could do, unfortunately I missed a step and landed really hard on my right leg on just day 1 of recovery. Up to that point I had felt very little if anything in my legs, but since that jarring motion i felt my muscles tighten considerably and my right leg lost some range of motion and I also started to feel numbness, however the numbness was never completely gone, it actually tends to come and go. Does this sound like I might have re-herniated? I don't feel pain down my right leg like i used to but I am feeling tingling and the sharp pinching of sciatic nerve at times when I try to move too much. Any body with a similar experience post-op would really be helpful. Or any insight into likelihood of re-herniation or is this sort of discomfort to be expected on day 2 of recovery. Thank you.
  • #o It's day 11 post surgery (hemi semi laminotomy and discectomy). I too fear re-herniation L5 S1. Met with surgeon yesterday(post surgical) and he said no lifting no bending. And that I could re-herniate the disc again. His example was "if you break your wrist once you could break it again it's the same with your back." I want guidance as to not re-injure this again during and after my recovery b/c I had herniated the same disc two years ago on the right side and it resloved itself but this time it was on the left side and a portion of the disc had broken off as well as totally compressing the sciatic nerve. I am having residual pain in my left foot which is noraml I've been told but I am now have achy sensations in my right and left upper outer thighs...these are the oh too familiar pains I've had in the past...I'm praying I did not undo what the surgeon just accomplished. I had to go on line just to find some illustrations for what to do or not to do after surgery. (look up John Hopkins) Good luck too all!