Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Ideas for PM Appointment??

MomofthreeboysMMomofthreeboys Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my neurosurgeon on the 22nd of March and it is conclusive;I will never get better. Not really anyway. He was very kind. He said he could do a discogram and another surgery but my results would be minimil, plus he'd have to go thru my stomach this time!. On top of that he said PT would not help at this point and a stimulator is kind of senseless for me since it would only help at most 1/3 of my pain. I then saw my PM on the 1st and she wanted a week to review my records and try to come up with a plan. She told me to do the same but I've been too depressed, in pain, lacking sleep and a cold on top of it. I go to bed at 12 but I'm up at 3 in pain and can't go back to sleep until 6 630, then I'm up at 7 730 for the day. I had a fusion l3-5 in Jan 09 with a doc I'm now not happy with. My new neurosurgeon did my hardware removal in Oct 10. In between there I also had a labral hip repair which was pretty bad so I have arthritis in my L hip at 33. My new MRI shows Bulges at T7-8, T8-9, T9-10, T12-L1 and also at L4-5 because it wasn't grafted during the first surgery for some reason so there is movement and 'popping' causing nerve pain.
The only narc I have been on is Vicoden at increasing dosages, now at 10/500(even 2 don't work). I've tried lyrica but had aweful side effects but would try again. I take Valium as my muscle relaxer but don't want to give that up cuz my dad is in hospice so I need it for stress. She also has me on Topamax for nerve pain but I don't know that it helps. Does anyone have any ideas for me. I'm in constant pain and nights are agony. I take trazadone to get the 3 or 4 hours I get of sleep. What has worked for others? My PM is against a pain pump. She is also against trials of different meds, she's afraid I'll get steven johnson's syndrome. However, I need a good plan of action because what we are doing isn't working!!
Any advise or just sharing of experience would be helpful!
Gentle hugs,

• Surgery 1/07/2009:
    1. L3-4 decompression laminectomy and foraminotomy
    2. Left complete L3-4 discectomy with decompression of L4 root.
    3. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion, L3-4 with 10-mm Capstone cage and autograph.
    4. Posterior spinal fusion L3-L5 with iliac bone graph and BMP
    5. Legacy instrumentation, L3 to L5

Surgery 10/4/10
    Hardware removal

• When do you go back to see the pm doc? I know I did the short acting meds for years and got the same result, always waking up all night long in tears. We finally switched me off to something that will last longer, which is fentaly. But there are other meds that can last longer in your system and stop the highs and lows. I still use percocet for break through. But the longer lasting meds will keep you from doing the highs and lows of them wearing off. Work with your pm and if your getting any relief at all from the vicodin ask them if there is something that can help you have some of that relief on a longer term basis.
  • First of all I want to say how sorry I am to read about your pain and suffering.

Yes you need to explore other options, as Tamtam said perhaps an extended release med may work better for you. I am not sure why your PM doc is against other meds, which may be due to your health??? But if the vicodine isnt working, it makes no sense for you to keep taking them. It is so important to have a good relationship with your PM doc and more important your PM doc should be wanting to decrease your pain levels, thats sort of thier job, right? Be frank and up front with her.

You also want to discuss some other sleeping meds. I take restoril but dont get much sleep on it either. I have added melatonin and theanin to my supplements and it isnt a miracle but helps a litle.

I take valium and soma for muscle relaxers and for me the combo works.

For targeted pain I use Lidoderm patches which kind of numb the area where they are placed, again no miracle but I do love them for spot therapy.

Good luck and I hope you have some sleep full nights and pain free days!