Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bacterial infection

rasmith2074rrasmith2074 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
So just after Christmas 2010 I thought I hurt my back. One er visit, two hospital stays and several test including MRIs xrays ct scan and blood work they finally figured out I have a bacterial infection in the SI joint. After 6 weeks of intervenous antibiotics there was still fluid and inflimation present in the joint. It had decreased about half the size. Now we have stopped the antibiotics to see if the bacteria is still active by watching the white blood cell leveal and the inflimation/infection levals. So my question is if the bacteria is still active what would be the next step? What would you recommend. I know my doctors keep saying they would like to avoid surgery because of the difficulty of it but my pain doesn't appear to be getting any better even with physical therapy. What would surgery involve? What are the complications? What type of surgeon would I need? Should I get a second opinion? Any information and education would help. Thanks!


  • I can't tell you much, other than tell you to read the info on this site about the sacroiliac joint and the other posts in here. Thats how I learned about how my pain could be comming from that joint. really sucks if you ask me! Then had it confirmed by a different PT. You can learn alot from this site. I would get as many opinions as I could. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but no one is going to take care of you, like you would take care of you! Learn as much as you can!

    So sorry about your pain! I hate pain! it hurts!
    I sure hope that you find the answers that you are looking for
  • Has anybody suggested that you see a rheumatologist? Ankylosing Spondylitis is a type of arthritis that affects the SI joints, and there is some thought that it MIGHT be related to a bacterial infection. One simple blood test they can do is the HLA B27 test, which shows if you have the antigen that is very common in people with AS (there is about a 10% population who does NOT have it, but they can still have the disease itself). It might be worth asking the doctors if there is a possibility of it being something similar. One of the meds they use for AS is sulfasalazine, which is actually an antibiotic drug that helps slow the symptoms.

    One of the reasons they may not want to do any surgery is that you do have the infection, and it increases the chances of complications when they open you up.

    Hope you are able to get some answers soon and get that pain to ease up. Keep us posted.

  • Hey rasmith2074,

    I am sorry to learn about you problem. From my experience of one of my friends i can say that you may try physical therapy to maintain joint motion. Hope that might be helpful

    Best wishes
  • My Mom was attacked by e.coli. We were lucky to do a Blood Culture and Urine Culture to identify the bacteria. She has been under treatment with an Antiobiotic called Fosfocil (less damaging to the kidneys). After 4 weeks strong dosis of antibiotics (IV), Sodium Bicobarnote (through IV), injections of IRON (HYDROPOYETINA), and Potassium (Medicine) and Tons of Pure Coconut Water -- she is still alive. Potassium has helped clean the e.coli toxins. There were moments I thought she was not going to make it as she was vomitting everything she ate during these weeks (except cocunut water and baby milk with baby cereal). I am just posting this so that you know -- E.coli can be irradicated. We did a lots of research and helped the Doctors with the treatment as she is in Honduras. When you encounter situations like this you pray to our Lord, do the research and work with your Doctor. Bacteria destroyed L3 and L4 (30% of the vertrabrae -- she does not have disc). We did another MRI and a Biopsy. We found no more bacteria. Pus was gone from initial MRI. We still will wait to see whether vertrabrae will auto-fuse or need surgery. She is wearing a CORSET so Vertrabrae do not collapse.
Sign In or Register to comment.