Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sharryb1ssharryb1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Went in today for a PT evaluation for voc rehab. I want to go back to work. I am bored! But I'm afraid decause I still have pain in my left hip and it is getting worse. The back surgery that I had was great, I no longer have all that pain in my legs any more. I thought that it might be the hardware that they put in. But then I started reading about the sacroiliac joint in here and begain wondering if it could be that joint. I've been going to PT some place else now for a few months, when I asked if it could be my sacroiliac joint causing my pain, they said it could be anything, it could be anything from scar tissue to hardware rejection to another part in my back its all tied in together....bummmer! There wasn't amy more that thay could do for me and discharged me, because insurance ran out. I could keep going but I would have to pay out of pocket! Who could aford that?!! Not me!!! So when I went in today for my PT evaluation for voc rehab. I told them that I was worried about my left hip hurting so bad, my back wasn't hurting so much, it was my hip.

Before I could ask if it could be my sacroiliac joint. she said, (get this!) it's probably your sacroiliac joint.
It is common with the kind of back pain and surgery that I had.

She put me on the table poked and prodded, did this and that, about killed me! then said its not your back or the surgery that you had, its your sacroiliac joint!

Boy! I went all this time with all this pain,and thought that there was nothing that could be done. Boy! does that ever piss me off!!

• Sometimes you can know your body better than anyone right? For vocational rehab do they help with PT? Anyways glad to hear they found the cause and hope your PM Dr. could help you. I've had that poking and prodding by my PM Dr. and never realized how tight and sore my hip is so the PM Dr. does nerve blocks in the hip in my upper butt and either side in the SI joints in my back and gives some relief. Maybe your Pain Management Dr. will do some tests also. Best wishes and hope you get some relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I see you all over this site. I think you are just the sweetest thing. you say the nicest things too!
    thanks! :)

No, voc rehab helps to retrain you for a different job after a disability. I worked in nursing for about 30 yrs. Now I want to do something different but I don't what I want to do. Voc rehab can help train you to a job that you want to do that you are able to do with your dissability. Basically voc rehab gives you another chance to have a different career. Voc rehab will also test you to see what your interests and skills are.
  • How are you doing with your vocational rehab? Any idea yet about what kind of field of work you might be interested in pursuing?
    Has the pysio been able to help you with your SI pain?
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • O:) Thanks for that sweet thing you said. I know they need RNs to do home studies for the government and the nurse sets up PT or OT for the person and if you can drive you go to each home and ask them questions about the care they need. I talked to the RN from CCAC which is government assessment in Canada and she told me she liked this job compared to the hospital work. I don't drive so I couldn't do that job and they need nurses to work in workmans comp also but that's mainly office work. I hope you'll be able to get back to some work if you're able. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Voc is going slow, lots of paper work, and hoops to jump through. I still have time to think about what I want to do and right now, I just don't know what I Want to do! I have done what you are talking about charry. It was an interesting job. There are alot of areas I can branch out into. I just don't know where I want to go.

All this pain and back surgery and then more pain has really done a number on my head! TO be honest, I
    don't know what I want to do any more. :/
    I just know that I need to do something. :)
  • Reading your post, I was thinking it could have been written by me!

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. When did you have your fusion?

I had my 2 level fusion in July 2010, so I'm about 9 months post-op right now. I still have low back pain that goes down my right leg (like before, but not as severe unless I overdo things). Anyway, I've also been having really bad cocyx? pain after I've been sitting in a certain position (usually an upright chair at 90 degrees will set it off) and standing up from these chairs almost brings tears to my eyes! I've noticed that my bottom also goes numb. How can it go numb and blimming well hurt at the same time? It's weird. I didn't have this pain before. Another pain I'm experiencing that I didn't have before is increased tenderness in my right lumbar area (but it's different from my usual back pain, if you see what I mean). Anyway, at my last appointment with the surgeon he prodded around and said it was my right sacroiliac joint. Since then I've also noticed it in the left side, but not to the same extent. I've been booked for injections on 26 May, so I'm really hoping they work. I hope he'll do the left side as well while he's at it.

Does anyone think that having fusion surgery sets this pain off? I don't understand it. Maybe it's something we've always had, but because there were other issues going on (that in my case were tested and found to be pain generators) the fusion took place and perhaps this was overlooked, I don't know. I didn't realise there could be so many different pain symptoms in the lumbar region that could be caused by so many different things. I wonder if they are all inter-connected or if it's just a coincidence that separate areas are hurting at the same time?

It is very frustrating, I know. I also want to get back to work. I did start my phased return last week, but because I work in a school (with lots of bending over unfortunately), we're off for 2 weeks over Easter so I won't have that continuous full month of work. I'll resume work on 26 April and have an appointment on 11 May to see the Occupational Health doctor. Hopefully, by then, I'll be able to tell him that (in my opinion) working full-time hours won't be a problem - I really hope so because I cannot afford to take a drop in my wages at any time.

I do hope they can find something that will help ease your sacroiliac pain - if so, please give us an up-date as I, for one, will be very interested to read it.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • :H
    Before surgery I had so much pain, I could hardly pull my own pants up and down to go to the bathroom, And there were times hubby had to help pull them up and down and that didn't even help at times and some times made it even worse! Pain so bad it would bring me to my knees and I would pee all over, couldn't help it! Poor hubby! I think he was more terrified than me! I had so much pain I couldn't begain to tell you where it was. I was told that fusion surgery could set off new and different pain.

Your whole body is inter- connected. I don't always believe that it is a coincidence that separate areas of our body hurt at the same time. For example: when my lower back hurt so bad, I became so stressed that it caused my neck to hurt and gave me headaches.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I had my fusion about 3yrs ago. It didn't take care of all of my pain, but it sure help a lot of it.

My surgeon told me before surgery, that if every thing went right, he might be able to take care of about90% of my pain and he did. What more could I ask for? Yes it's very frustrating! Doctors are only people PRACTICING medicine on us. Thats why it's so important that we educate ourselves about our condition. Even though I worked in the medical field, I went into surgery not very educated about my condition, and then had a few shockers afterwards.

I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you find the answers that you are looking for, and hope your pain gets better. I hate pain it makes me crazy!
  • Are you in Pa? I was thinking you are from Virgina?

The reason I am asking is I live in pa and I thought Voc was a Pa thing.

I know people ( ME!!! lol ) who would give their teeth away to be in this program - it is such a blessing.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • NO, I am from Arizona,Phoenix Metro area,just east of Phoenix.

It took a lot of work! Support from PT and all of my doctors. I had to be open minded about mental health. I didn't want to be considered a crazy person! But that kind of pain made my crazy! Still brings tears to my eyes if I think to much about it.
    Major Depression is considered a serious mental illness and can qualify you for not only voc rehab but also disability. we used both my physical and mental health. I hate pain it makes me crazy!

Try to use your mental health with your physical and apply. Make sure you have your doctors behind you!

God Bless and good luck! ;) :)