Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks and I have bone growth

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I got some good news today that I have bone growth from L5-S1 fusion,But its been 8 weeks and no problems till yesterday,butt cheek is really painful and left foot is tingling,I just dont see how,the only problem i had was still bad back ache alot worse than before fusion.I just dont get it.Anyone had problems that start after 8 weeks in nerve problems?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    fusion bone growth at 8 weeks is good news. The tingling is nerves trying to reconnect I think. I think to have some problems after 8 weeks is normal. I think you'll have some nerves "waking up" and some trying to reconnect.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Cervical surgeries here, not back yet... After spine surgery there is a lot of changes going on, and as your nerves wake, they might scream at you once in a while. Spasms are another wonderful (NOT) side affect of healing. Remember, you need to look at recovery in weeks or months, not days. It can take a year or more to heal.

Always good to hear fusion is taking place so early. Good for you!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow after 8 weeks thats soooooo awesome im 5 month's and just now starting to see some bone growth slower than what he wanted will see!....NS is hoping that it gets growing some more!!!!!.....will see so happy for you
  • Yea i was shocked when he said it was already growing,now if this back pain would go away,does the back pain ever stop?
  • im 5 months out from ALIF and still in pain been dealing with this for 6 years! Iv'e just come to deal with it will be forever
  • Im at the same conclusion,im in worse pain now than before surgrey,the first 5 weeks i felt really good and now its hit me like a ton of bricks,i cant get through the day without taking two 7.5 vicodens at a time,its crazy how my butt and back pain are bad,he says it may be scar tissue,he cleaned alot out of the nerve channel from my first surgrey.
  • I'm 3 months post my 2nd lumber surgery--fusion didnt take the first time.
    This time at my first post appointment ,having had xrays,he said he could see grey shading ,& a lot,he was impressed.
    Iwas the same at the start .Things seemed so much easier than my first fusion-pain wise.Went well for first 6 weeks or so,then bang oweeeee.Had to stop all my walking and everything.Huge pain in butt & hip.
    I had been trying to decrease my meds & thought no,I need to go back to the old level of meds for a while longer.Buggar the risks of dependancy,I need to keep my mind sane & at peace.
    Feeling good a the moment ,pain is all masked up.Just have to remember not to go & play rugby,LOL.
    Hope things improve for you soon.
    Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Mike from NZ
  • Thanks sheba,yea i was hoping for a chance to go back to my olb job but I can see its out of the question,it requires alot of lifting,plus i cant sit long or stand long,the back pain is just dull and I still have problems getting out of bed and standing straight.
  • My ALIF is tomorrow and I hope I get bone growth that soon!

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz