Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management for cervical problems

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hi everyone! :H

For anyone who has been in Pain Management, can you tell me what happened at your first visit?

Then after that, what treatments have you had?

I am being sent to Pain Management, and in my ignorance assumed that it meant being prescribed pain meds.
I have now been told by my physiotherapist that it is for Epidural Steroid injections. I don't like the sound of that!

Before I have any treatment like that, I want to have things explained to me.
What they do;
How many treatments;
Are there any possible dangers or side effects;
What benefit will they give;
What happens if I don't have them;

Is it ok to expect them to give me time to explain things, or will they want to give me an injection and then expect me to leave?

I wish I could re-run my appointment with the consultant now I have had time to think of questions; and this time without the 2 medical students so I got his full attention!

• Jelly,

It sounds as though they are sending you to pain management for conservative treatment. The doctor may recommend injections to get the inflammation down and possible send you to therapy for your c-spine. But they always want to follow all forms of conservative therapy first before even considering any type of surgery. The pain management doctor will do his/her own assessment to decide the treatment plan. They can also prescribe medications if need be.
  • I would assume your first visit with pm doc to be initial consultation wherein doc should fully examine you and Med records including your NS recommendations. He should review your meds to make sure dosages are working. You should get a full explanation of the "plan" whether it be epidural or other. I doubt they would schedule you for an epidural with OUT explaining the process, risk & benefits.
    Can you call the office to ask what you should expect for your first visit.
    All my epidural injections were done either in out patient hospital or at surgery center. They are performed under sterile OR conditions.

The only shot i ever got "on the spot" in office were trigger point.

Hope this helps!

• I have had epidural for C-spine from several different Drs. One Dr who did a series of 3 injections, all done in outpatient surgery and sterile environment. Had an IV and they gave me a little happy juice and I slept through the actual injection. Injection was done lying face down on a table that stretched the neck a bit. None of the injections worked.
    Second Dr on got one try at me, I was wide awake for this one and lying face up, did not like his approach or bedside manner.
    Third Dr, Pain management, did the epidural same day as I went for consult, no IV only a little numbing before the injection. He did another series of 3, did not work. He also tried facet injections and trigger point injections and Botox injection. None provide relief.
    I am starting over with a physiatrist at the end of this month to see if he can help. He has done the injections in my lumbar spine and they give me 3 to 4 months of complete pain relief.
    I know individuals who have had cervical epidurals and they do wonders for them, I'm one of the difficult to treat individuals when it comes to my neck.
    Don't let the inject you until you have all your questions answered. I had to review and sign before each injection that i agreed to the treatment and understood all the possible side effects.
    Best of luck to you, I'll pray that you get relief.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched